• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

American car companies going bust

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American car companies going bust

Quote from Channel 4 news - "American car companies are going bankrupt due to globalisation - in the country that invented it"....

General Motors losing $4 billion in a year, Ford laying off 30,000....

Ho hum. Globalisation is a good thing, isnt it...?
    Vieze Oude Man

But American cars are crap - they still use huge heavy inefficient iron V8 blocks when the whole world moved on! Take average US SUV - huge engine but low BPH, very heavy car - poor fuel consumption and slow acceleration, no wonder they lose!

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
      Ho hum. Globalisation is a good thing, isnt it...?
      Yes, don't forget it is also "inevitable".

Comment

I think it is more to do with the new accountancy rules in the US. Most have been bust for years if truth be told. 'Tis why they are selling themselves to foreign companies, a so-common US company trick that one always wonders why anyone would fall for it, yet again.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

AtW,

Thats a bit of a sweeping generalisation. Most US cars are reasonably fuel efficient these days. Also a US gallon is only 0.8 of an imperial so you need to add 25% to the mileage figures to compare.

Mind you there are numerous other reasons why US cars are crap...

When last in Canada before Christmas I rented a GM compact of some description. They definitely win the "no tulip sherlock" award.

It's -15 c. I dig the car out from under a load of snow. Spend ages deicing the thing, get in and drive off. A moment later it sarts goinmg bing bing bing and flashing a warning lite that says "caution may be icy".

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
            Most US cars are reasonably fuel efficient these days.
            It depends on definition of word reasonable - I think Ford had good sales of their super SUV name of which I can't mind, but its fuel consumption was something like 10 mpg or less - not as bad as Abrams tank but getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
              Yes, don't forget it is also "inevitable".
              Actually, I'm afraid it is, old bean. Unless you want to pull up the drawbridge and stick tariffs on everything.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

american cars

american cars will go the way of the US motorbike industry, the shortest way to the junkyard where they belong.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  It depends on definition of word reasonable - I think Ford had good sales of their super SUV name of which I can't mind, but its fuel consumption was something like 10 mpg or less - not as bad as Abrams tank but getting there.
                  That's actually the successful side of the US car industry: big cars for people who want big cars (most big American cars are SUVs now because they escape the gas-guzzler tax imposed on the manufacturer for its overall sales-weighted average mpg).

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    Actually, I'm afraid it is, old bean. Unless you want to pull up the drawbridge and stick tariffs on everything.
                    Well I just think I would be prudent to take a step back and examine the pro's and con's.

One of my main concerns is the interdependence that globalisation creates - which in turn leads to problems demarcking areas of responsibility. An example is NuLabours insistence that spending our money in Eastern Europe is a 'good thing' - but since when did the UK government have responsibility over Eastern Europe? This also stretches to African debt relief - many would argue their first responsibility lies with us; while others would say there is a benefit to us, albeit convoluted. What is the limit of this behaviour, and who decides?

Furthermore, how does one define oneself in a globalised world - to which 'clan' do you belong? If everything is defined around the individual how is anyone to form value systems or does everything get mixed into a lowest common denominator (viz. the introduction of Citizenship in school curricula)
                    Last edited by NoddY; 11 January 2006, 22:34. Reason: added bits

Comment

Working...
                    X