• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vulcan cash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vulcan cash

Vulcan cash race hailed a success

Has anyone seen one of these flying recently? I don't think I've seen one in the air for a good 15 years or so, it was very noisy and looked deceptively slow IIRC.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Has anyone seen one of these flying recently? I don't think I've seen one in the air for a good 15 years or so, it was very noisy and looked deceptively slow IIRC.
    Not for a long time, Leuchars Air Show in the 70's. Did get to sit in the right hand seat of a B1 just before it's final flight, this one here.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

I remember seeing them flying over the west country (West Dorset and Dartmoor) but that probably was about 30 years ago.

I thought that they had all now been scrapped, except for the one that is the restoration project.

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-air-show.html

I saw one at an airshow some time in the early 80s, I think it might have been at Duxford. I am 99% sure it was after the Falklands.

I have the Vulcan 607 book about the mission to the falklands, I haven't read it yet though.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Saw it fly over Newbury last year at low level- very very impressive
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

It flew at Waddington airshow last year too but I missed it.

I'm quite nostalgic about the Vulcan as I live near Waddington where they were based and always used to see them in the skies during the 70's and 80's.

Fantastic to watch close up, especially when they used to scramble 3 of them at once at the airshow in the 70's.

Comment

Saw it about a year ago out Newbury way too.
              Smokey thing.
              Also pretty nostalgic about them. They were a big part of growing up as my old man flew them for many years and life was based around bases and him on call or going on training trips.
              He didn't have to drop 'buckets of sunshine' on anyone, i don't think they even did it accidentally, though they did win the world bombing championships in the USA.

Comment

Was I the only one who thought this discussion would be about alien currency?
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

When I was a kid at school I remember all the fly-pasts with the Vulcans in. Very nostalgic.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

A mate of mine used to build them at AV-RO Woodford.

Comment

Working...
                    X