• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to a 4 day week ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to a 4 day week ...

renewed contract for 6 months, asked for rate rise, got, then asked if I can do a 4 day week, got. So same money, 4 days a week! Bingo. Happy days.

Nice,

so you got a 25% rate increase? Not too shabby at all.

Comment

So an overall 20% drop then?

But I'm not knocking it mind, it was a reasonable compromise and you got what you wanted...

Edit: - Ah they gave you a rise and asked you to take a day off to pay for it? Can't complain at that!
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          So an overall 20% drop then?

But I'm not knocking it mind, it was a reasonable compromise and you got what you wanted...
          I tried not to work out how much money I was losing by being a lazy git!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
            renewed contract for 6 months, asked for rate rise, got, then asked if I can do a 4 day week, got. So same money, 4 days a week! Bingo. Happy days.
            Result, and through the summer too.

I dropped to 4 days/week at last clientco due to a cap on billing days and loved it. If I could do it on every gig in the future I would.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
              Result, and through the summer too.

I dropped to 4 days/week at last clientco due to a cap on billing days and loved it. If I could do it on every gig in the future I would.
              I try not to recruit contractors whose productivity increases when they're away from the computer...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
                I tried not to work out how much money I was losing by being a lazy git!
                It's ok. At some point, they'll ask you to do five days again, and then you'll be quids in.

My first contract was at £23 an hour. At renewal that was upped to £25, at my request, but the condition, from the client, was that I now work forty hour weeks, instead of thirty-five. Back in the days of steam-driven computers, that extra £195 a week was not to be sneezed at.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I did this once when I really hated the job but couldn't find anything else. Came to renewal time and I asked to switch to 4 days a week.

One of the best things I have ever done on reflection. Went from being miserable and hardly having any time to myself (up in the dark, back in the dark, lacking sleep) to ... well enjoying myself a lot more.

I think it's a percentage thing.

5-2 = seems like you are working all the time
                  4-3 = you're off almost half the time

Comment

Ah, the 4 day week.

I did 6 months on 4-dayers. Didn't get paid for the missing day but the sheer loveliness of the short week more than made up for it. Would certainly do it again.

Comment

Working...
                    X