• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old contractors.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old contractors.

There I was in the pub, as usual, for lunch and a couple of old guys sat at the next table.

Now I always assumed as a IT contractor that it’s a young man’s game and that I’d have to make all my dough by 40-45 and be financially secure at that point. But these two guys were late 50s early 60s talking about contractor roles. One had just been “offered 375 at tesco but was holding out for 500” . (I was wondering if it was a role my mates hiring for too!)

Funny, they were giving it the same old tulipe you get on here, about rates, buying property, shares etc etc ...

Can you guys really see yourself doing this crap at 60?

I most certainly hope not

Comment

No. I think I’m going to stand for the European Parliament instead.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
        There I was in the pub, as usual, for lunch and a couple of old guys sat at the next table.

Now I always assumed as a IT contractor that it’s a young man’s game and that I’d have to make all my dough by 40-45 and be financially secure at that point. But these two guys were late 50s early 60s talking about contractor roles. One had just been “offered 375 at tesco but was holding out for 500” . (I was wondering if it was a role my mates hiring for too!)

Funny, they were giving it the same old tulipe you get on here, about rates, buying property, shares etc etc ...

I'm nearly 59 so I suppose I'd have to say yes.

Why do you assume it's a young man's game?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post

First what do you mean by "financially secure" what do you think money you have saved when you are 30 will really be worth when your 60

I intend to stay contracting 6-8 months a year and holiday the rest of the time.

If you finishing working at 45 what would you do with your time?
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            I'm nearly 59 so I suppose I'd have to say yes.

Why do you assume it's a young man's game?
            When I was young i was interested in new technologies: the latest computer, gadget yadda yadda. Now I couldn't give a toss. I've mastered my particular niche; keep up to date in that area, but through professional necessity rather than youthful interest and inquisitiveness. I can’t be @rsed with iPods and iPads etc anymore... so when data warehousing dies out, I die with it in a professional capacity... and quite gladly. Now of course I’m in senior roles that have transferable skills but do I really want to manage 25 your old geeks at 60? Nah.

Comment

The majority of “old” contractors that I have worked with have made their fortune and lost it all in a divorce.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                Nice problem to have.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  First what do you mean by "financially secure" what do you think money you have saved when you are 30 will really be worth when your 60

I intend to stay contracting 6-8 months a year and holiday the rest of the time.

I'm pretty much close to having enough dividends a year through shares (yes I know), to make a salary. I have no debt at all and a house + investment flat with no mortgage, so I'm on track. As for my time I have travel, golf and beer lined up, for the last 15 years....

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    The majority of “old” contractors that I have worked with have made their fortune and lost it all in a divorce.
                    Something for you to look forward too Jeebo72
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X