• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Forum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Forum

Whats the new forum looking like? Haven't managed to get over now due to visiting inlaws.

Comments for the rest of the board?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

mumsnet? It's full of milfs and gilfs.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Very shiny.

Comment

Well, I have not been able to look at it.

I am pretty sure that I have followed the instructions correctly, if I ping the IP address it does not respond to me and if I just put the IP address into a browser address bar I am served up with this cryptic message

<html><body><h1>It works dunnit!!</h1></body></html>
        But I don't really know what I am doing and don't want my technical problems to cause a distraction so I'll just have to wait for the launch....

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          Well, I have not been able to look at it.

I am pretty sure that I have followed the instructions correctly, if I ping the IP address it does not respond to me and if I just put the IP address into a browser address bar I am served up with this cryptic message

But I don't really know what I am doing and don't want my technical problems to cause a distraction so I'll just have to wait for the launch....
          It's reliant on HTTP 1.1 and the "Host" header (as is most of the web) so the IP address isn't sufficient - the web server needs to know which of the domains it's hosting you actually want, which is what the "Host" header tells it, and is also how all virtual hosting works.

I'm not sure why you're having a problem. It could be that you have some "Internet Defence" gubbins that's causing your system to ignore your hosts file.

If you're on Windows then try installing Fiddler and having a look at the HTTP headers when you try to access it. They should include "Host: fake.newcuk.domain.that.isn't.on.DNS"; otherwise you won't be able to get there. If your anti-the-ills-that-come-from-using-Windows software is interfering, you may be able to add the fake domain to some kind of "really, let me do this" list within that software.

The lack of response to ping happens to me; it could be that admin has disabled ICMP responses on the server, or they may be getting filtered out somewhere else. It looks like the former, as a traceroute (tracert on Windows IIRC) gets me all the way except the final (?) step.

Comment

Thanks Nick.

My internet security software did identify that I had made a suspicious change to the hosts file and warned me about it but claims not to be blocking it after I told it not to. I have added the site to the safe sites list too but to no avail.

I have tried running windows in safe mode so that nothing is running that could be blocking but I get the same results.

I have tried connecting from another computer that does not have the same security software on it but that didn't work either.

Fiddler reports ReadResponse() failed: The server did not return a response for this request.

I have no desire to be a distraction from the business of getting the new forum live, after all for all you know I could have got the IP address wrong in the hosts file. I like to think that I am more technical than the average user but I may just be deluding myself

Comment

Working...
            X