• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holy Cow! I Thought ITIL Foundation Was Easy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Cow! I Thought ITIL Foundation Was Easy?

I'm the first to admit I'm pretty dumb, I got a grade 2 CSE in Maths, they said "oh Richard you must have just missed out on a 1 take it again!", I did and got a 3, so I'm in that ballpark. But at least I know a good beer when I taste one.

So having read on here "it's pretty hard to fail the ITIL Foundation hahaha!"...I thought I would investigate more.

Anyway it seems to be a 'requirement' and may help me secure a new position (now I have been made redundant for the second time thanks to outsourcing to India) trying to earn what I was 10 years ago (as there is no call for op's now and I'm trying to break into helpdesk).

I get a cheapo CD from Ebay for £2 that seems to have all the necessary literature on ITIL V3.

1) Continual Service Improvement 308 pages
    2) Service Design 352 pages
    3) Service Lifecycle 186 pages
    4) Service Operation 396 pages
    5) Service Strategy 373 pages
    6) Service Transition 270 pages

Holy Schmoly 1884 pages of reading before bedtime and that's just for the 'foundation' course, and none of it makes sense or seems applicable to the real life I know.

I'm thinking along the lines that this education may be interesting to say a help desk manager who wants to expand their theoretical understanding of underlying IT issues, but to ask someone working on a helpdesk to undertake this is a waste of time. Its just management talk anyway and a clever ploy thought up by some bored contractor as a way of making more money and impressing a government official to promote it worldwide as 'the way forward'.

Anyways I asked a few colleagues who had done the course a couple of techno type ITIL questions and they hadn't a clue, so is there an easy way to pass this exam without wading through 2000 pages of rubbish?

Did those who found it 'hard not to pass the ITIL foundation hahaha!' just use Braindumps and memorize the answers?
    Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

It sounds like a lot of hogwash to me.

But if mastering it and getting the certificates is likely to improve your rate, I'd stick at it and good luck (seriously).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Wonderful page on ITIL, the only thing that has made sense so far...press the Generator button!

www.itilbullsh*t.com

Anyway I'm just going to torrent find some Braindumps and give it a go.
      Last edited by dspsyssts; 17 April 2010, 22:29.

Comment

Working on an ITIL project at the moment. Got the role with only an understanding of it. When I arrived and saw what the client had implemented told them straight that what they were doing was bulltulip!

It's dull boring bulltulip and has no use in the real world.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Working on an ITIL project at the moment. Got the role with only an understanding of it. When I arrived and saw what the client had implemented told them straight that what they were doing was bulltulip!

It's dull boring bulltulip and has no use in the real world.
          Its a funny one, there is an argument to say there is a place for ITIL and I'm sure there are some superb examples out there of companies that have benefitted from implementing this paradigm shift on what represents the basis of their IT foundations and how they conduct themselves.

But there are all manner of intellectual reasoning and there is common sense.

ITIL seems to represent a common set of rules for those to follow who lack common sense.

If its not broken don't try to fix it, and for those who know of Solomon Asch and his experiments on conformity, well I think many companies are choosing to tow the wrong line because everyone else is doing it!....then again some companies IT infrastructure is very broken and they do need a set of rules to follow to fix things.

But I will argue against this domino effect of companies instigating ITIL simply for the sake of it.

Or something.

Comment

Put it on your cv without doing it.

Comment

Wot's ITIL?

<googles...>

<wikipedias...>

Oh dear:
              ITIL gives detailed descriptions of a number of important IT practices and provides comprehensive checklists, tasks and procedures that any IT organization can tailor to its needs.

Is it just me, or does that say "It purports to tell you how you should probably do stuff, but you can do stuff however you damn well please and still claim to be doing stuff the way it told you to"?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Is it just me, or does that say "It purports to tell you how you should probably do stuff, but you can do stuff however you damn well please and still claim to be doing stuff the way it told you to"?
                ITIL in a nutshell....

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Wot's ITIL?

<googles...>

<wikipedias...>

Oh dear:
                  ITIL gives detailed descriptions of a number of important IT practices and provides comprehensive checklists, tasks and procedures that any IT organization can tailor to its needs.

Like most of these "systems" for doing IT, they are just a framework for your existing processes. Generally it's a pile of cack designed to keep somebody in a job.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Like most of these "systems" for doing IT, they are just a framework for your existing processes. Generally it's a pile of cack designed to keep somebody in a job.

ME!

Thank you!

T
                    "v3 Expert"

Comment

Working...
                    X