• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would You Take A Contract In Iraq?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would You Take A Contract In Iraq?

Or Iran or Saudi/Dubai etc....

Are there any sites offering contracts in dodgy locations?...or does Jobserve cover that?

But really would you put your life on the line for a job in downtown Basrah?
    Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Originally posted by dspsyssts View Post

Are there any sites offering contracts in dodgy locations?...or does Jobserve cover that?

No, not even for 50million quid. I value my life more!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Iran, yes. Saudi, It would have to be a very good rate, Dubai no.

Despite what you imply, Iran is a pretty safe place to work. I'd be more worried in Saudi.

However, I'd rather run around in a G W Bush mask in Baghdad than spend more than half an hour in Dubai. It's worse than Torremolinos was in the 70's.

Comment

I guess Peter Moore is still in peoples memories.

One line of thought is to do an Iraq contract and be armed to the teeth, ie nobody uninvited is breaking down my hotel door unless without me unloading an AK47 in their direction. But the obverse of that argument is that because Peter wasn't armed he was viewed as a 'civilian' and eventually freed.

Wonder what his daily rate was?!...feel for the guy, must have been hell, expect he will write a book about it all.
        Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

I would for sure but I don't have any dependencies so only have to worry about me. It would have to be a monster rate but what an experience that would be to remember for ever more.

To be fair we hear about the odd kidnapping and roadside bomb. Try and weight those up against the 10's of thousands of people working out there. Depending where you are a quick trip around the M25 and in to London could be more dangerous.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Saudi -

Jobserve does have them.... But mine was via Personal Contacts

Don't fancy Basrah

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
              Iran, yes. Saudi, It would have to be a very good rate, Dubai no.

Despite what you imply, Iran is a pretty safe place to work. I'd be more worried in Saudi.

However, I'd rather run around in a G W Bush mask in Baghdad than spend more than half an hour in Dubai. It's worse than Torremolinos was in the 70's.
              Why?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I would for sure but I don't have any dependencies so only have to worry about me. It would have to be a monster rate but what an experience that would be to remember for ever more.
                Especially if you came back alive but with no legs.

No, I wouldnt. Never in a million years.

Comment

No.

Got offered one three years ago and turned it down flat.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Before asking such questions I would suggest doing some research into these countries other than reading the headlines in the Sun and Daily Mail.

Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Iraq and Iran are very different from each other. What countries do you mean by etc?
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X