• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today's fairy tale

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's fairy tale

For the first time ever McDonalds are to pay tax in Denmark!

Linkage

The story has made the front page of the Sunday broadsheets, and is the lead for at least one.

I do love his dissembling: "Do not ask me to explain the details. I sell burgers and fries. I am not an expert in accounting and tax rules." when you consider his education is as an economist.

It is also gratifying to learn that my little hobby farm pays more in tax than Shell, for example.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    For the first time ever McDonalds are to pay tax in Denmark!

Linkage

The story has made the front page of the Sunday broadsheets, and is the lead for at least one.

I do love his dissembling: "Do not ask me to explain the details. I sell burgers and fries. I am not an expert in accounting and tax rules." when you consider his education is as an economist.

It is also gratifying to learn that my little hobby farm pays more in tax than Shell, for example.
    Can you translate some more please?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Can you translate some more please?
      Too lazy to do it all , so I've Googled it and cleaned up the worst bits.

Historical: McDonald's pays taxes

After 26 years in Denmark the fast food chain will pay tax for the first time.

By Michael Lund

Several multinational companies have surrendered unnoticed and have agreed to pay substantial sums to the Danish government because they have paid too little in taxes for earlier years.

Amongst many others is fast food chain McDonald's which for years has been the symbol of multinational tax avoidance. McDonald's paid for the year 2007 an extraordinary 38 million kroner to the state in what the company itself describes as a 'correction on the account of deferred tax for earlier years.'

Can be interpreted in two ways
      According to one of the country's leading tax experts, tax accountant Christen Amby, the announcement only be interpreted in two ways:

"Either the company has had second thoughts and are now paying of their own free will - or it was caught in a flagrant breach and therefore forced to pay," said Christen Amby, who is also member of the Fiscal Council of SF (one of the political parties).

"I think it is the latter, but whatever it is, it shows the company has paid too little in tax in earlier years, which they must now compensate for," said Christen Amby, whose interpretation is supported by several other tax experts.

Unity List (a political grouping) Frank Aaen, who has repeatedly criticized the multinational's tax avoidance in Denmark, calling it "gratifying" that McDonald's has paid the tax retroactively, and will now also pay corporation tax regularly.

The chain has made payments on account for both 2007 and 2008 - for the first time since the chain made its entry onto Danish soil in 1981.

Taxation: More to pay
      McDonald's Denmark's CEO, Kristian Scheef Madsen, reject the assertion that the payment of 38 million kroner was due to an action by the Tax authorities.

"We have made the payments of our own volition. Nobody has ordered us to pay '. He also maintains that McDonald's, in the company's own belief, have respected tax rules throughout the years.

But what caused the correction then?

'This is because various other things that I will not dwell on', and would not provide further details.

But what does it mean when I'm told that the case is about an adjustment of deferred tax relating to previous years?

"Do not ask me to explain the details. I sell burgers and fries. I am not an expert in accounting and tax rules."

Experts and critics can not explain it in ways other than because too little tax has been paid.

"It is our position, that we believe, that we have paid the correct taxes, " said Director of McDonald's Denmark, who did not follow up on Politiken's offer to let a tax expert staff examine their accounts.

Oil company Shell has also paid tax of 7 million kroner. And the Anglo-Dutch food giant Unilever agreed in 2008 to pay an invoice for the years 1999-2007 in the order of 30-40 million.

Finance Manager at Unilever Denmark Henrik Lindegaard will not elaborate on the matter. "But in that there is a fine, so one might well see it as if we and the Treasury have argued about whether we have paid the correct taxes. But now, as it has always been, is our desire to pay taxes. " He predicts that Unilever will also pay the correct corporate taxes in the coming years.

Taxation Minister Lund Poulsen (V) (a political party) acknowledges that the Treasury has become increasingly effective in their control of the multinationals. "But there is still more to chase after ", he says.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
      X