• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you take a contract in Swindon?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you take a contract in Swindon?

Or Basingstoke or Bracknell etc....

Are there any sites offering contracts in dodgy locations?...or does Jobserve cover that?

But really would you put your life on the line for a job in downtown Covingham?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

I once took a gig in Slough, but that's my limit. Swindon? No chance!
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Are there any sites offering contracts in dodgy locations?...or does Jobserve cover that?

I've been, IIRC twice.

One place I worked in the same office as the only guy to have a license for a sawn-off shot gun.

Another place, I set off home a little later than usual, IIRC 5.30pm and found I was locked in, as everyone else had already gone home, and security had locked up, and gone home too.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go again.

Although I did take girly to the Magic Roundabout. She was thrilled.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Oh stop overegging the pudding! Covingham is not that bad. Now were it Penhill or Park North/South then.............
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          Another place, I set off home a little later than usual, IIRC 5.30pm and found I was locked in, as everyone else had already gone home, and security had locked up, and gone home too.
          Probably gone to catch the last bus. It was the first town I'd ever been to where the buses stopped running so early in the evening. No good at all if you wanted a few drinks after work.

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          Although I did take girly to the Magic Roundabout. She was thrilled.
          That's always a treat.

(I used to work with a chap who delighted in going through the thing as fast as he could. Fortunately he was a good driver.)
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'd take Tikrit over Swindon any day....but it has to be said Swindon has some attractive chavs.

"Anyone that lives within a 100 mile radius of Swindon knows that not only is it the biggest dump on Earth, but the town is infested by a species known as the CHAV. Any trip through the town centre is a dangerous feat as Chavitus is rife and contagious. Why not visit Swindon for a light lunch and some Chav-spotting as they sport the obligatory Shell-suit, and 5-stripe trainers whilst pushing their 8 kids to the dole office! Basically Swindon is Chaville and unfortunately for us this problem has spread to nearby villages, such as Wroughton, Chiseldon, Broad Hinton, and yes, even Wanborough"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2260665076
            Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

yep, am quite enjoying my current contract in Swindon.
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Oh stop overegging the pudding! Covingham is not that bad. Now were it Penhill or Park North/South then.............
                I don't know Swindon that well, it's just fashionable to put it down. Covingham was the nastiest sounding name on the map.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I had a shop in Bracknell for three years.

Yes it is tulipe!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

What on Earth makes those locations dodgy??

You obviously haven't had really dodgy locations...

Boring, yes - worried for your own safety -no...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X