• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC double standards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC double standards

I was chatting to my mates misses yesterday who works for HMRC, it turns out they are closing the local tax office meaning her job has been transferred 23 miles away.

HMRC have agreed to pay her travel expenses for 5 years totalling £7.5k, I know this is different to the rules we have to abide by but it seems extraordinarily generous don't you think? I guess it's easy to pluck figures out of the air when it's only the tax payer that foots the bill.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Why is this extraordinarily generous? My last permie company did this for people up to 100 miles. Another one did 3 years with extensions up to permanetly depending on circumstance.

Seems about par for the course to me.

I would have expected this from any gov agency as sweetners and the like anyway? They hardly likely to give them a year and have themselves all over the news?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not that generous at all I dont think.

If she was claiming standard rates of 40p per mile she should get £92 a week for the first 10,000 miles per year and £46 a week after that.

46 mile round trip is 230 a week, which works out to just over 10,000 miles a year allowing for holidays etc ( 47 working weeks ). so she'll effectivly be on full whack for the whole year. This works out at £4,324 for the year give or take a few quid.

£7.5k total for 5 years is a lot less than that. Or did you mean they are paying her £7.5k a year?

At £7.5k a year they are really paying her travel costs plus £3,200 odd as compensation for the inconvieniance. Not that bad really.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        I was chatting to my mates misses yesterday who works for HMRC, it turns out they are closing the local tax office meaning her job has been transferred 23 miles away.

HMRC have agreed to pay her travel expenses for 5 years totalling £7.5k, I know this is different to the rules we have to abide by but it seems extraordinarily generous don't you think? I guess it's easy to pluck figures out of the air when it's only the tax payer that foots the bill.
        Permie? if so, the HMRC have to honour their employment contracts as well!
        Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Not that generous at all I dont think.

If she was claiming standard rates of 40p per mile she should get £92 a week for the first 10,000 miles per year and £46 a week after that.
          Even with the £92 a week expenses you only get tax relief on that so it's effectively only worth about £21, I was doing the same journey more or less and I was still out of pocket to the tune of £20 a week.

They're paying for her train ticket outright, I'd forgotten how mollycoddled you are in the permy world, it just seems so damn attractive in these times.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Depends if her redundancy costs and re-hiring and training costs are more than £7.5k.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              Depends if her redundancy costs and re-hiring and training costs are more than £7.5k.
              She's a civil servent... what do you think?

I know an IT support guy who walked out from the MoD with near £90k for 20 years service, contrast that with the £14k I got for 12 years at a private company.

Comment

She'll be made redundant next year as HMRC has to slash costs, closing local offices and making all interaction with the government via the internet.

Comment

Does the £7.5K factor in the costs of the PTSD Counselling that will no doubt ensue as their desk has been moved almost a Marathon's distance away from its current location?
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

HMRC have agreed to pay her travel expenses for 5 years totalling £7.5k,
                    I read that as meaning £7.5K over 5 years - i.e. 2.5K per year, or just over 50 quid a week when you factor in holidays.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X