• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cowboy builders & solicitor's letter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowboy builders & solicitor's letter

[Warning: Wilmslow-esque experience follows]

Having problems with builders who are rubbish at what they do and don't even bother turning up any more to complete the job.

Putting aside the reason why we hired them in the first place (worst mistake of my life so far...), I'm keen to understand how I can get rid of them.

We've already had the big argument, standing out in the garden shouting at the top of our voices. After the shout-off we agreed to give them one more chance, and nothing much has progressed since.

It's also very annoying that they've left their tools in our garage, which is now just a mess. And he's not moving them.

Basically he wants more money... a pay-off I suppose, whereas the list of jobs he has yet to do is quite significant. Further to that, a lot of the work he has done has to be re-done due to poor quality and faults arising.

Would it help to send him a solicitor's letter to warn him off, i.e. something like 'you have 2 weeks to complete the job to client satisfaction or f off'?

I'm also acutely aware of the fact that they could come round and put a brick through my windows.

Payment has been made in cash, recorded by signatures on a spreadsheet. It is more than obvious that they are paying no tax on this.

In all seriousness this situation is doing my head in (re: Stress thread a few days ago). If you've been through a similar experience it would help to understand what I can do here.

I'm sure sure that there will be someone giving you advice on this ChimpMaster, as I seem to remember someone having a similar problem a couple of years ago.

But you seem a savvy kind of ape, what was it that persuaded you to use them in the first place? (as a warning to other members who think they're 'savvy' as well...)

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      [Warning: Wilmslow-esque experience follows]

Having problems with builders who are rubbish at what they do and don't even bother turning up any more to complete the job.

Putting aside the reason why we hired them in the first place (worst mistake of my life so far...), I'm keen to understand how I can get rid of them.

We've already had the big argument, standing out in the garden shouting at the top of our voices. After the shout-off we agreed to give them one more chance, and nothing much has progressed since.

It's also very annoying that they've left their tools in our garage, which is now just a mess. And he's not moving them.

Basically he wants more money... a pay-off I suppose, whereas the list of jobs he has yet to do is quite significant. Further to that, a lot of the work he has done has to be re-done due to poor quality and faults arising.

Would it help to send him a solicitor's letter to warn him off, i.e. something like 'you have 2 weeks to complete the job to client satisfaction or f off'?

I'm also acutely aware of the fact that they could come round and put a brick through my windows.

Payment has been made in cash, recorded by signatures on a spreadsheet. It is more than obvious that they are paying no tax on this.

In all seriousness this situation is doing my head in (re: Stress thread a few days ago). If you've been through a similar experience it would help to understand what I can do here.

Your mistake was hiring a British Builder (I'm assuming that's the case as it bears all the hallmarks) not an eastern European one.
      In terms of what you can do contact your CAB - you can also sue them through the Small Claims Court.
      Basically get some advice from a professional and follow it.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Your mistake was hiring a British Builder (I'm assuming that's the case as it bears all the hallmarks) not an eastern European one.
        Eastern europeans have their fair share of cowboys around here, make no mistake about that. I've used two british building firms in the past eight years, for a total of six different jobs. Both were good.

You advice to chimp though, is sound.

Comment

Sell their tools at a car boot sale... to recover the storage costs they've yet to pay.

My mate's gone through a similar thing in the last year, went to court and lost on the craziest technicality. Builders, they're all f****** ... in this country anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Eastern europeans have their fair share of cowboys around here, ...
            Where are you?
            In London I have used 3 different Polish outfits, One Russian, a Saffa and 2 British builders (for various jobs when I used to have my BTLs and also on main residence).

Of the foreigners only one lot of Poles were substandard -doing up a flat(although they fixed the problems when I complained). The Russian was excellent (building an extension, perfect workmanship, spot on). The other two Poles and the Saffa were reasonable and work was OK.
            The British builders (established firms) were lazy, over budget and time, and with shoddy workmanship. And had serious attitude problems.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Where are you?
              In London I have used 3 different Polish outfits, One Russian, a Saffa and 2 British builders (for various jobs on my shed).
              FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                FTFY.
                Ah yes forgot my shed. That was done perfectly by a British company

http://ecospacestudios.com/

But they aren't exactly builders - they subcontracted the building and managed it so I didn't have to worry
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Write to them outlining what you agreement with them is and include that time is the essence of the contract. Given them two weeks to complete the works including tidying up their mess. Warn them if they do not do the aforementioned then you will either take out an Court Injunction forcing them them to do so and/or get other builders to finish the work and you will then claim any costs and differences in costs from them.

Post it recorded delivery.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Write to them outlining what you agreement with them is and include that time is the essence of the contract. Given them two weeks to complete the works including tidying up their mess. Warn them if they do not do the aforementioned then you will either take out an Court Injunction forcing them them to do so and/or get other builders to finish the work and you will then claim any costs and differences in costs from them.

Post it recorded delivery.
                    This.

Oh, and board up your windows
                    Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X