• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road Kill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Kill

Couldn't help but notice huge amounts of road kill on the weekly commute this am - myriad bunnies, pheasants, hedgepigs and on the A417 a smallish mangled dear in the central reservation and saddest of all a huge badger lying on his tummy, looking like he was fast asleep - it quite upset me
    Last edited by Pogle; 19 April 2010, 10:30. Reason: ,
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Perfect for the BBQ this week ...

Comment

Badgers can be bloody huge! I would hate to hit one at speed! Well I would hate to hit one at all but you know what I mean.

Squirrels and fluffy bunnies can temporarily cause a loss of traction so notice the traction control light comes on briefly but badgers can cause some damage!!

I have a very countrified route to work as well and have to say it has been ramping up over the last week. Am expecting a carpet of animals in the next few months as Pogle points out.

Saying that it isn't just the country. There isn't a day goes by there isn't a fox piled up at the side of the rode in suburbs of Manc.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Badgers can be bloody huge! I would hate to hit one at speed! Well I would hate to hit one at all but you know what I mean.
        We hit one whilst the missus was driving, luckily down a little country lane so only doing around 30. Smashed through the front skirts, went under the motor and then a sickening bang, bang, bang as it bounced between the road and bottom of the car. Not nice at all.

looked in the nearside mirror and it was lay in the middle of the road surely stone dead but by the time we'd stopped and i'd jogged half way to it, it had got up and staggered away into the hedge. Nails!

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          We hit one whilst the missus was driving, luckily down a little country lane so only doing around 30.
          Same here. Twas on a wet night, and it rolled to the edge of the road and ended up in a puddle. We got out to check on it and it was still breathing. We decided to take it to the Vet's to see if anything could be done. I said to the missus to place it between her legs to keep it warm. "But it stinks!" she immediately replied.
          "Well hold the badger's nose then!!!"
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Did see 3 foxes dead the other day on opposite sides.

Two adults and one cub.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Same here. Twas on a wet night, and it rolled to the edge of the road and ended up in a puddle. We got out to check on it and it was still breathing. We decided to take it to the Vet's to see if anything could be done. I said to the missus to place it between her legs to keep it warm. "But it stinks!" she immediately replied.
              "Well hold the badger's nose then!!!"
              Boom boom!!!

Boy I hope Shauns plan B isn't in comedy
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

From what I understand from watching television some people actually eat this roadkill or these roadkills. To be honest I wouldn't know how to assess if these animals were fresh and if these animals would be suitable foodstuff. In India I would say it would not be recommended due to the heat making the meat very perishable. If you lkive in Arctic the opposite is true though I must point out that if you see polar bear road kill don not uner any circumstances eat the liver as this is poisonous.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  We hit one whilst the missus was driving, luckily down a little country lane so only doing around 30. Smashed through the front skirts, went under the motor and then a sickening bang, bang, bang as it bounced between the road and bottom of the car. Not nice at all.

looked in the nearside mirror and it was lay in the middle of the road surely stone dead but by the time we'd stopped and i'd jogged half way to it, it had got up and staggered away into the hedge. Nails!
                  Well that's one badger that has definitely learned the highway code if it lives.

Makes you wonder why animals like foxes and badgers haven't twigged that when a large "animal" with glaring eyes is rapidly heading in their direction, it's time to move off the road pronto. The problem is, their instinct is to freeze and hope it goes away.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Did you see any beavers?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X