• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

connecting my laptop to a printer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

connecting my laptop to a printer

Hi,

I've just bought a new laptop and one of the 'cost savings' is that it doesn't have a parallel port.

Unfortunately, my printer doesn't have USB and I'm not keen on replacing the printer as I have a 'proper' expensive laser.

So is there anyway I can connect the two together or am I stuck with keeping my desktop in the corner for printing things?

Was expecting to be able to find a suitable PCMCIA card, but I can't. Am I looking in the wrong place or does such a thing not exist?

Is there any other way?

TIA

timmy

There's quite a few dongles around for dealing with this. I had one for my old Psion PDA which didn't have USB capability.

Here's one example

Comment

You could network, a small 4 port hub on dabs costs about 8 quid.

Useful if anyone else wanted to use that "proper expensive laser"!

Comment

Ah, so I can get an intelegent cable that converts.

Sis said that offspring had a similar problem and had to buy a cable for her printer, but knowing that that their combined technical knowledge is equivilent to that of a potato, I though that she meant she had a USB printer that needed cabelling.

Now I know what to look for I've managed to find them in PCWorld (for 30 quid!). When I went in there the numpty looked at me blankly when I asked and I could find anything suitable on the shelf for myself.

I assume that the 'hub' idea, is to network the computers together? This isn't my problem. I want to dump the desktop, it's Win98!

Thanks

tim

Comment

Does your laptop have WiFi?

Two birds with one brick, set up a wireless network and share your printer...

You'll be able to share files, print and get on't 'net!

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
            I assume that the 'hub' idea, is to network the computers together? This isn't my problem. I want to dump the desktop, it's Win98!

Thanks

tim
            Nah, if it's a decent laser it should have anetwork port in the back of it. Either use a hub as suggested and connect lappy and printer to it or use a crossover network cable and connect directly. I'm guessing you have a USB modem for net access, if not then the hub is the easiest way without buggering your net connection.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
              Does your laptop have WiFi?

Two birds with one brick, set up a wireless network and share your printer...

You'll be able to share files, print and get on't 'net!
              I'm not understanding something.

What do I connect the printer to?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                Nah, if it's a decent laser it should have anetwork port in the back of it. Either use a hub as suggested and connect lappy and printer to it or use a crossover network cable and connect directly. I'm guessing you have a USB modem for net access, if not then the hub is the easiest way without buggering your net connection.
                OK, a network port in the back. Dunno, I'll look next time I go home.

I currently have no net access at the house where my belongings live, as I'm not there often enough (I used to have dial-up). The new laptop is "wireless enabled" so I was going to find a WiFi connection I could use.

My work residence has ethernet piped in the wall, but the printer doesn't live in that house. A have an XP Desktop connected to that.

Thanks

timmy

Comment

Working...
                X