• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice for A new Would be Contractor!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for A new Would be Contractor!

Hi All,

I'm currently considering becoming a contractor. Although I have 16 years of experience in the IT industry the last 8 years have been spent as a Presales Consultant for a large storage vendor.

Because of this any technical skills I had are now very rusty and popular applicatons like Exchange etc I only know from a very high level. I've recently undertaken some voluntary work to try and bring my Windows admin skills back up to scratch and hopefully get some exposure to things like Exchange and active directory etc.

A contractor I worked alongside briefly last week suggested that to try and break into the market I shoould consider going for a contracting role as a Desktop Support Engineer. Would you agree with this, how would agencies react to someone who has no experience as a contractor?

Does anyone have any strategies they would suggest I use given my background?

Thanks.

No.

You need to bring marketable skills and experience to the table.

In a tough Market with none of these you have as much chance as a snowball in an Icelandic volcano
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by boldsoul View Post
      Hi All,

I'm currently considering becoming a contractor. Although I have 16 years of experience in the IT industry the last 8 years have been spent as a Presales Consultant for a large storage vendor.

Because of this any technical skills I had are now very rusty and popular applicatons like Exchange etc I only know from a very high level. I've recently undertaken some voluntary work to try and bring my Windows admin skills back up to scratch and hopefully get some exposure to things like Exchange and active directory etc.

A contractor I worked alongside briefly last week suggested that to try and break into the market I shoould consider going for a contracting role as a Desktop Support Engineer. Would you agree with this, how would agencies react to someone who has no experience as a contractor?

Thanks.
      To become a contractor, you need to have skills that matches the clients short term needs. You can't just walk in and say I can do Exchange or Active Directory, but I am a bit rusty. No client will give you the opportunity to gain the experience.

If you have the funds, do something like an MCSE as a starter for 10. Stay Permie for now and hope your employer gives you some experience in your field.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

... I'm currently considering becoming a contractor. Although I have 16 years of experience in the IT industry the last 8 years have been spent as a Presales Consultant for a large storage vendor.
        If you've been involved with SAN (storage area networks) and backup strategies and monitoring and such like, I'd suggest mugging up on these and becoming a SAN consultant.

The rates for that would be far higher than for a help desk bod, although contract roles might be fewer and further between.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          If you've been involved with SAN (storage area networks) and backup strategies and monitoring and such like, I'd suggest mugging up on these and becoming a SAN consultant.

The rates for that would be far higher than for a help desk bod, although contract roles might be fewer and further between.
          WHS.

SAN is the way to go for you, my good man. Throw in a bit of Capacity and Availability Management and you're away...

Not to say that'll guarantee you a contract, mind - just try and get that stuff while you're still a permie...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks.
            Change your name by Deed Poll to something suitably sub-continent, suggest you will take the role for £12 per hour, and profess to have a Degree from the University of Hullabaloo.

HTH
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

HTH
              No, it doesn't really, Shaunbhoy...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                To become a contractor, you need to have skills that matches the clients short term needs. You can't just walk in and say I can do Exchange or Active Directory, but I am a bit rusty. No client will give you the opportunity to gain the experience.

If you have the funds, do something like an MCSE as a starter for 10. Stay Permie for now and hope your employer gives you some experience in your field.
                WHS Make sure your skills are up to date and get some certificates in your field; the certificates might not really say much about your ability but they get your CV through the first screening process.

Also, get some interview training and possibly some sales training; as a contractor you live or die on your ability to present yourself at an interview.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Forget it, you don't appear to have any marketable contract skills. Anyone planning to move into desktop support is looking at a future at £8 an hour humping boxes around, getting looked down at by the security chimps. I wouldn't advise getting MCSE or any other worthless technical cert either, everyone working helpdesk has these. Consider Service Delivery, your customer facing skills might come in useful and some technical knowledge always helps.

Comment

Thanks.
                    You want to watch those contractors. They are all lazy scumbags willing to have a laugh with the dumb permies at any opportunity....

how would agencies react to someone who has no experience as a contractor?
                    Somewhere between laugh/put phone down and feed you some drivel to get you off his back while he places all the more experienced guys in the queue ahead of you I am afraid. They are not your friend believe it or not.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X