• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great argument

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great argument

Had a Lib dem rep at the door last night looking for votes. Told him I'm undecided at the moment and his basic argument for why I should vote lib dem was that Labour and the cons are no good and I should vote for the libs!!!!! WTF.

Asked him about IR35..... Blank stare.... Asked him what the lib dems will do for micro businesses and freelances in future.... he gave me a blank look and forwarded me to the email address of the candidate...

Brilliant sales pitch..... I'm sold.

Why would you local Lib Dem know about IR35?? Hell we don't even know about it? He is gonna wander off shaking his head as he has just met another bum hole who think he is clever by one upmanship by quoting largly irrelavant policies and issues and will contine his nightmare speaking to the public...

Quoting your own personal issues and thinking you are one up on him isn't really clever is it. Do you think any other party candidate would have managed to answer that?? I think not....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No but it'll make me feel better!

Great - I'll use that when they call!
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why would you local Lib Dem know about IR35?? Hell we don't even know about it? He is gonna wander off shaking his head as he has just met another bum hole who think he is clever by one upmanship by quoting largly irrelavant policies and issues and will contine his nightmare speaking to the public...

Quoting your own personal issues and thinking you are one up on him isn't really clever is it. Do you think any other party candidate would have managed to answer that?? I think not....
        I didn’t expect an in-depth conversation but if we don’t mention it to these people they will never know about it will they. However I do expect them to know broadly what policies they have regarding freelances and small/micro businesses, that is not too much to ask.

Nice to see the expectations you place on MP's... Jack all from the sounds of it.

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
          Had a Lib dem rep at the door last night looking for votes. Told him I'm undecided at the moment and his basic argument for why I should vote lib dem was that Labour and the cons are no good and I should vote for the libs!!!!! WTF.

Asked him about IR35..... Blank stare.... Asked him what the lib dems will do for micro businesses and freelances in future.... he gave me a blank look and forwarded me to the email address of the candidate...

Brilliant sales pitch..... I'm sold.
          And what if he said 'I too am a contractor and I also believe IR 35 is unjust and and unnecessary burden on business, but that's not what my party thinks'?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

They are all getting hit with a question about ICTs when they turn up at chez minestrone, well, except the Labour candidate who is getting told to f off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              And what if he said 'I too am a contractor and I also believe IR 35 is unjust and and unnecessary burden on business, but that's not what my party thinks'?
              I'd know that I'd be looking at a future backbencher...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You could have broadened the question to his attitude about freelance workers in general. Why it is that they are hammered relentlessly and then linked it in to the "offshoring scam" that brings in thousands of IT workers under the intra company transfer heading. You could then have asked if the libs were planning on including these people under their "amnesty".

If these people want their precious Europe/Euro to work then there has to be a system that encourages people to move accross Europe to work. Movement of labour is key to making the Euro work and to offset the inbalances of the different economies in the economic cycles.

Such a line of questioning would have gone to the heart of so called Lib dem policies.

Essentially liberals are inverted snobs who have a chip on their shoulder about voting conservative.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The Early day motion to change IR35 was tabled by a LibDem MP IIRC

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    The Early day motion to change IR35 was tabled by a LibDem MP IIRC

HTH
                    Good point...

Comment

Working...
                    X