• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ebay laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay laptop

Got a laptop from ebay and thought it was just the HDD at fault. Not so. Very unstable, sometimes recognises the HDD, sometimes does not.

I was speaking with a laptop technician in the pub last night and he reckons you need to bake the motherboard in the oven to "refloat" the solder joints.

Thought about putting this in technical, but then thought it may be a laugh to put it in here.

Updates later. Anyone been bonkers enough to try this?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Mate did it with his XBOX - wrap a towel around it.

Worked a treat.

T

Comment

The microwave would be better. Or perhaps the BBQ.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Waiting patiently for MF to come along with a tale about his mate doing this and.... etc etc...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Reminds me of the support call we had years ago about guy who logged a call saying he had spilt coffee on his keyboard so agent told him to run it under warm water and leave on a radiator to dry out. Next day guy was on complaining his laptop wouldn't boot up anymore! Class
          In the days before laptops were common place so am sure it happened more than this once.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nothing funny about that - it is how the boards are made in the first place.

Some small electronics firms even use dishwashers to wash the flux off the boards.

All very domestic really.

Al.
            Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Got a laptop from ebay and thought it was just the HDD at fault. Not so. Very unstable, sometimes recognises the HDD, sometimes does not.

I was speaking with a laptop technician in the pub last night and he reckons you need to bake the motherboard in the oven to "refloat" the solder joints.

Thought about putting this in technical, but then thought it may be a laugh to put it in here.

Updates later. Anyone been bonkers enough to try this?
              You can bake it but you will need to add flux to the board. I would not recommend it as a first fix especially if you have not done this sort of thing previously. It is more likely the hard disk at fault. Try a spare hard disk.

If there is a problem with the board; you could try flexing it and tracing where any dry joints are.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                You can bake it but you will need to add flux to the board. I would not recommend it as a first fix especially if you have not done this sort of thing previously. It is more likely the hard disk at fault. Try a spare hard disk.

If there is a problem with the board; you could try flexing it and tracing where any dry joints are.
                I replaced the disk and memory as both were faulty. Still buggered.
                Now what should I take off the board before I bake it?

CPU?
                CMOS battery?
                What else?
                Last edited by suityou01; 20 April 2010, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  I replaced the disk and memory as both were faulty. Still buggered.
                  Purely out of interest - how much did this eBay bargain cost / save?
                  If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
                    Purely out of interest - how much did this eBay bargain cost / save?
                    £80

Comment

Working...
                    X