• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Host hacking my arse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Host hacking my arse

Frakin ip address just said "It works!"

Had to sit out all morning.

Did you miss me?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Frakin ip address just said "It works!"

Had to sit out all morning.

Did you miss me?
    'Host hacking' refers to editing your hosts file to point forums.contractoruk.com to the IP mentioned... not simply typing http://the.ip.address.here

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      'Host hacking' refers to editing your hosts file to point forums.contractoruk.com to the IP mentioned... not simply typing http://the.ip.address.here
      I did that and it never worked.

Comment

Sorry for that. The new forum required PHP 5.2 and the server the forum was on was 5.1. It was a plesk box and holds the main site so really did not want to be messing about with that so have moved the forum to another server. Forgot to update DNS until the last minute - ADMIN FAIL

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
          Sorry for that. The new forum required PHP 5.2 and the server the forum was on was 5.1. It was a plesk box and holds the main site so really did not want to be messing about with that so have moved the forum to another server. Forgot to update DNS until the last minute - ADMIN FAIL
          You're grovelling apology is acceptable

Nice forum btw
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I did that and it never worked.
            Do you have admin rights over the file?
            I tried it from work with no joy - had to be done on the mac at home.

Oh... and apparently there can be more than one 'hosts' file.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              Do you have admin rights over the file?
              I tried it from work with no joy - had to be done on the mac at home.

Oh... and apparently there can be more than one 'hosts' file.

Have rights over the file and change it quite often anyway for clientCo stuff that I work on at this box.

Mind you, nothing makes sense in here.

Comment

FYI, Internet access at ClientCo probably uses a proxy server so changing the local Hosts file would not work. You'd need to change it on the server and they might not like you trying that.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                  FYI, Internet access at ClientCo probably uses a proxy server so changing the local Hosts file would not work. You'd need to change it on the server and they might not like you trying that.
                  ahhh that's why it didn't work then.. still it's give me something to play with for the afternoon now it's all loaded..
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

my DNS reported the right IP but I still couldn't get in until the pm. Don't think host hacking would have worked or would it?
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X