• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I gotta say, if you did this in the Corporate world...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gotta say, if you did this in the Corporate world...

if you did this kind of visual damage to an existing web enabled .net application in the real world, the corporate world....

you'd get sacked !

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    if you did this kind of visual damage to an existing web enabled .net application in the real world, the corporate world....

you'd get sacked !

Milan.
    No you wouldn’t.

I’ve seen far more important apps in production in the ‘corporate world’ that have much more serious issues than this. The issues here are primarily cosmetic and can be solved fairly quickly if people give useful feedback. Don’t even ask about the tulipware your bankers are probably running and how many chances it offers to lose all your money.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

you'd get sacked !

Milan.
      If someone had asked who the worst whinger would be before the new forum was released, I'd never have guessed it would be milan.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        If someone had asked who the worst whinger would be before the new forum was released, I'd never have guessed it would be milan.
        I know, I thought it would be AtW but he's been relatively quiet.

Comment

you'd get sacked !

Milan.
          Nonsense. For a start no competent organisation would be using ASP.NET.

Comment

An EDP auditor that I know well described one of Europe’s biggest bank’s IT systems in a private mail to me as;

‘2500 buggy applications running with unmodelled databases containing inconsistent data, connected by a leaky network and maintained by people with no functional knowledge of what it’s all supposed to do. In short, a liability.’

He didn’t write that in his report out of fear he’d never work again.

I’ve seen the systems to which he refers and I regret I do not have the evidence to contradict him.

In comparison, this forum is really not such a problem.

Comment

I've spent most ot my career in the world of expensive, bespoke corporate applictions and only recently started work on a free-to-the-public one.

With bespoke apps, there's a lot of corner-cutting you can get away with - obviously you have to get the sums right, but if you leave a couple of controls slightly unaligned, buttons in an unexpected order etc, the users don't complain much because they know they've got no choice, and the client isn't going to bin you straight away because they've invested a lot of money in you.

With the free app however, standards have to be much higher. If one of your lists isn't alphabetically organised, or your pull-down are a bit jerky, you'll get called the spawn of Satan by people from Ontario to Ouagadougou. You've got about 90 seconds before they'll desert you for a competitor forever.

I'm told entertainment is similar: people paying £20 for a live show ticket will cut you more slack than people watching you on TV for free, because walking out of something you've paid for feels like a much bigger deal than flicking the channel, even though there's logically very little difference.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                I've spent most ot my career in the world of expensive, bespoke corporate applictions and only recently started work on a free-to-the-public one.

With bespoke apps, there's a lot of corner-cutting you can get away with - obviously you have to get the sums right, but if you leave a couple of controls slightly unaligned, etc
                I must say that you’ve worked with some very demanding clientcos. I once listed that as an ‘acceptance criteria’ in my test plan for a pretty hefty corporate system and was ordered by a senior exec to ‘remove that immediately’.

'We must not stipulate acceptance criteria that might endager the deadline (read; his bonus) for this project'.

Comment

obviously you have to get the sums right
                  I worked on a system recently where the calculation time for one function depended on the customers age...

I think that was about as extreme an example of getting the sums right as one can manage.

There was another way of calculating the result, that gave the same answer, but it was too complicated for the managers to understand, so it couldn't be implemented.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I gotta say, if you did this in the Corporate world....
                    If CUK was a listed company, I'd short the stock.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X