• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain is not working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain is not working

Britain is not working.

To prove this point- when you have some time off between contracts as I have, go for a walk into any British town during the day, you will find there are a lot of people walking around.

It didn't used to be like this- kids used to be in school, adults used to be at work or at home, only some pensioners out and about. Only on weekends did you see a lot of people around town between 10 and 12, 2 and 4.

Not so these days, people everywhere, in no rush to go anywhere as they have all day. Go to supermarkets in the day and you'll also think you are abroad somewhere, such are the high % of women who wear middle eastern clothing.

Must be a lot of people living off handouts- that's my conclusion.

Or, people living off a combination of their previous contract's invoices, and their £30k BTL investments.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Or, people living off a combination of their previous contract's invoices, and their £30k BTL investments.
      I suspect people like us are in the minority.

Comment

Let's hope so!
        I reckon I've been living in central london so long I've forgotten how the normal world works. Judging by the mail, my block of flats has got more limited companies living in it than people.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
          Britain is not working.

To prove this point- when you have some time off between contracts as I have, go for a walk into any British town during the day, you will find there are a lot of people walking around.

It didn't used to be like this- kids used to be in school, adults used to be at work or at home, only some pensioners out and about. Only on weekends did you see a lot of people around town between 10 and 12, 2 and 4.

Not so these days, people everywhere, in no rush to go anywhere as they have all day. Go to supermarkets in the day and you'll also think you are abroad somewhere, such are the high % of women who wear middle eastern clothing.

I appreciate what you mean as I have noticed this myself.

However, you fail to acknowledge that working practices have changed significantly in the last 10 years or so.
          There are more people working part-time, doing shift work, flexi-time etc.

Also, there are probably significant numbers of people like me who are out of contract/work and not claiming any benefits.

And don't forget the aging population who are more likely to visit the town centre to get out of the house.

Not everyone you see walking about during the day is an immigrant sponging off the state as you seem to be implying!

Comment

Today's figures show that there is roughly 11 million people that are not working. That is about 20% of the adult population.

Also if you add in 6 million that work directly for the state and about the same again that work indirectly then you can see why taxes are so high on the ever dwindling numbers in the private sector.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Or retired persons like myself who do not look a day over 30.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
                Britain is not working.

He almost managed a sensible post with a proper opinion. But couldn't quite make it. C79 seems the closest to Cyberman we have right now.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  He almost managed a sensible post with a proper opinion. But couldn't quite make it. C79 seems the closest to Cyberman we have right now.
                  Who the **** are you and your mate dang? Cybertory was a nutter who clearly had no endorsement from the conservative party, but you clearly have an agenda which is not quite as straightforward as simply being a left leaning contractor. At least your mate Dang with his railwayline view of the country has admitted to being a labour stooge. Do we really warrant two stooges?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Eh? That's two railway mentions in replies to my posts, I know not what either of them are about. Or why you think I have a political agenda based on my calling out C79 on his borderline racist posts.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X