• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Birthday to NickFitz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday to NickFitz

Happy Birthday!

I really hope that you are not going to spend the day bug-fixing.

Happy Birthday

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      I really hope that you are not going to spend the day bug-fixing.
      Actually, you would probably enjoy it wouldn't you?

Comment

I would imagine Admin owes you a B'day cake!

Happy B'day Nick.

Comment

Cheers all

I've spent a lot of time this week wondering what to do on my birthday. I eventually came up with the idea of going to Twycross Zoo to video the chimps scampering about, to help me with some animations for an iPhone game.

Turns out I'll be delving into the foul bowels of IE6 instead

Well, unless I don't bother, and go off to see the scampering chimps instead... still, I'd hate to leave all those people sitting in the offices of some corrupt City institution, unable to enjoy DimPrawn's pratings about house prices and social policy because the IT department is too incompetent to upgrade their intranet applications to a browser that works, while I selfishly indulge myself

Nice to see the good smilies are back, BTW. In all the years that I've been dealing with the crock of tulip that is IE6, I've never seen that bug that's making the smilies grow like that. I've tried every tool in the box, and nothing will fix it except the most ungodly hack, and that isn't good enough for me.

FWIW, there was a bit on the Xfm home page that I got working on IE6 using the same hack... but, even with the hack, the same thing broke even more badly on IE7. That was definitely a case of IE taking one step forward and several steps back. In the end, I had to change the way it worked, which was a shame as the original way was very elegant (and worked everywhere except IE7, where IE7 itself didn't know what was going on - the DOM reported values that bore no resemblance to what was happening, and even the IE developer toolbar would report something being at one position at the same time as highlighting its position as being several hundred pixels away where it was invisible).

For the curious, it was the "Latest videos" sidebar module - it seems they don't use it on the homepage any more (and have also overburdened the site with Flash ads as they slide into oblivion) but, at the time of writing, you can still find it on the "Music News" page sidebar. If you hunt down the JavaScript that drives that little widget, you should still be able to find the code somewhere in "pageinit.js"... and yes, there's my comment:

Code:
          //  hack forcing IE6 to reflow the list - very dirty, but necessary...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Cheers all
            .......Loads of stuff that might be about monkeys.........more stuff that might not be about monkeys.........
            Happy Birthday Nick

Comment

Happy Birthday Nick!

Have the day off man - IE6 will still be here when you get back!
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Nick, go see the chimps!

Happy birthday!

Comment

Happy Birthday
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I've spent a lot of time this week wondering what to do on my birthday. I eventually came up with the idea of going to Twycross Zoo to video the chimps scampering about, to help me with some animations for an iPhone game.

Happy Birthday Nick

It a good place to go for chimps, we are going there in a couple of weeks

Comment

Working...
                    X