• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banning of Burqa - Good or bad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banning of Burqa - Good or bad?

Belgium is about to ban Burqa in public.

How much of a human rights violation is this ?

Personally, I think if women are forced to wear the Burqa its a voilation of human rights but if they wear it because they want to, then who are we to stop them ?
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

Personally, I think if women are forced to wear the Burqa its a voilation of human rights but if they wear it because they want to, then who are we to stop them ?
    I am not sure which poster this is, but I am still in favour of banning Milan.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I do feel offended seeing women wearing burquas, thinking women have thrown themselves under trains in the name of freedom, however, if it is someone's choice then who am I to question that? And should I really be offended by what someone is or isn't wearing? Also, what to do? Throw them in prison??

As illogical as it is I do feel offended by the wearing of them, I think they symbolise the oppression of women by ancient religions.

I wonder what AC Grayling would say / has said?

interesting:

http://freethinker.co.uk/2010/02/22/...-a-c-grayling/
      Last edited by Boudica; 22 April 2010, 08:17. Reason: found AC Grayling comment

Comment

Belgium is not voting to ban the Burqa.

The ban applies to clothing that hides someone's identity in public places such as parks, buildings and on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

The ban applies to clothing that hides someone's identity in public places such as parks, buildings and on the street.
          That is perhaps a PC way of putting it.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I am not sure which poster this is, but I am still in favour of banning Milan.
            Why should he be banned ? Because he voiced his opinion ?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

That is perhaps a PC way of putting it.
              No it isn't, it's exactly what they're voting for.

Comment

It is a tricky subject.

On the one hand, telling people what they can and cannot wear is an affront to the British view of freedom and I don't think people would stand for it.

On the other hand, people used to claim that their slaves were happy. Did that make slavery OK?

Comment

I wonder if this is a clever bit of political psychological manipulation.

The stated point of the proposed law in Belgium explicitly states hiding ones identity in public is to be an offence. Such a law would apply to all fancy dress; so Old Holborn would be nicked straight away. It would apply to street theatre, anyone wrapping up against the cold, or any number of circumstances. In Belgium it is compulsory to carry ones identity card when in public.

Clearly some forms of Muslim dress will also be caught by this law. However, I don’t believe that they are the specific targets, but the law makers are exploiting racism in the general population to gather support for this proposal. Just how much of a ‘problem’ is there in Belgium with women wearing such clothing?

Everyone would be the victim of this proposed law. It is about making it easier for people to be identified.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    I wonder if this is a clever bit of political psychological manipulation.

The stated point of the proposed law in Belgium explicitly states hiding ones identity in public is to be an offence. Such a law would apply to all fancy dress; so Old Holborn would be nicked straight away. It would apply to street theatre, anyone wrapping up against the cold, or any number of circumstances. In Belgium it is compulsory to carry ones identity card when in public.

Clearly some forms of Muslim dress will also be caught by this law. However, I don’t believe that they are the specific targets, but the law makers are exploiting racism in the general population to gather support for this proposal. Just how much of a ‘problem’ is there in Belgium with women wearing such clothing?

Everyone would be the victim of this proposed law. It is about making it easier for people to be identified.
                    Much like Holland, there were very few burqas in Belglum, in fact you could count them on the fingers of one hand, excluding a few visitors from abroad in Brussels. Then the anti-immigrant politicians started whining about burqas and women started wearing them out of anger at their liberty being threatened.

I’d only ever seen two women wearing the full burqa in Holland until the last couple of years when Geert Wilders started ranting about them, and now I see one or two in every city. Still not enough to really concern me.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X