• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Braindead idiots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braindead idiots

Off shore development team. I am writing business requirements. I write that "Should be able to add costs to a project" and "Should be able to remove costs from a project"

in a nutshell. It is much more explicitly explained.

Get the deliverable.

Can add costs. Tick.
    Can remove costs. Tick.
    Cannot remove the last remaining cost. No Tick.

Ask developers.

Braindead idiot : "There is no such requirement"

Me : Really? How about 1c?

BI : "Yes, this only says the ability to remove a cost, which you can"

Me : "All but the last one"

BI : "There is no such requirement to remove ALL costs"

I have also in the past been told that there is no such requirement, for how the system should NOT behave.

FFS

Oh, and they are on T&M.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Off shore development team. I am writing business requirements. I write that "Should be able to add costs to a project" and "Should be able to remove costs from a project"

in a nutshell. It is much more explicitly explained.

Get the deliverable.

Can add costs. Tick.
    Can remove costs. Tick.
    Cannot remove the last remaining cost. No Tick.

Ask developers.

Braindead idiot : "There is no such requirement"

Me : Really? How about 1c?

BI : "Yes, this only says the ability to remove a cost, which you can"

Me : "All but the last one"

BI : "There is no such requirement to remove ALL costs"

I have also in the past been told that there is no such requirement, for how the system should NOT behave.

FFS

Oh, and they are on T&M.
    Infosys?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Infosys?
      A couple of variations for testing;

Can you set the last cost =0?

If you set up 5 costs in a new project, see if you can remove the first one you’ve made and the last one you add.

Try setting all the costs to 0.

Comment

If you set up 5 costs in a new project, see if you can remove the first one you’ve made and the last one you add.

Another one; add a new cost, then try to remove the one you couldn’t remove earlier. Then, if the app has an audit trail or is connected to the accounting system, check that; fair chance you’ll have fooked up the general ledger.

Comment

You can set all costs to zero and remove them in any sequence barring the remaining one, regardless of when it was created.

The workaround is to set the costs to zero. This has been accepted by ClientCo

No requirements doc is going to be 100%, but I do expect the developers to think things through. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

I joked that if I added "Dowse yourself in petrol and ignite" into the business requirements we would have all our developers in the burns unit of their local hospital.

Comment

You can set all costs to zero and remove them in any sequence barring the remaining one, regardless of when it was created.

The workaround is to set the costs to zero. This has been accepted by ClientCo

No requirements doc is going to be 100%, but I do expect the developers to think things through. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

I joked that if I added "Dowse yourself in petrol and ignite" into the business requirements we would have all our developers in the burns unit of their local hospital.

Can you remove the project altogether while costs are attached?

Comment

Can you remove the project altogether while costs are attached?
              No. This was added as a constraint 3 releases ago.

Comment

God knows what they think of you.

<shakeyHead>I wish that bedwetter would go away, he has the brains like a ripe melon and the face of a baboon</shakeyHead>

Comment

No. This was added as a constraint 3 releases ago.
                  Can you remove a project with no costs attached?

Comment

Am I being as braindead as the devs?

There seems to be a conflict between the following in your text:

'Cannot remove the last remaining cost. No Tick.'

'BI : "There is no such requirement to remove ALL costs"'

Did you not mean "Can remove the last remaining cost. No Tick" ?

You have to be acurate and precise for the devs

Comment

Working...
                    X