• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Price of a Shave and a Haircut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price of a Shave and a Haircut

Due to ever thinning and receding hairline for many many years I haven't been to a Barbers/Hairdressers for many years... decades in fact. So I have no idea of current "going rate"...

Anyway due to a certain amount of *rseing about with rescheduling flights and stuff I didn't get home yesterday (where I would have run the old clippers over the scalp).

As I will be back in the office on Saturday I decided I needed to do something about the rather unkempt and scruffy look I was sporting..... So I wandered into a local Barbers......

Real "traditional" Barbers..... row of 4 proper Barbers chairs, two old geezers with scissors, some very old and worn Mags on the table (not Shag Mags though), plus a dozen straight back chairs for the waiting punters....

Well I timed it quite well (just re-opening after Dhuhr prayers) and there was no queue so I was ushered to the chair by aforementioned old geezer..

As might be obvious as I am bald as the preverbial a quick No 1 and I'm sorted.... But Old Geezer says "Want shave?"......

<thinks> Mad old A-rab with a cutthroat........ my scrawny neck...... What the heck....... "OK"

He the proceded with a face massage with some Oil, some very delicate trimming round ears, nose, lips etc.... then full lather and gets into the full business with strop and Cutthroat...... bit more delicate stuff.... another little massage with oil... bit of moisturiser and I'm done......

Thank you sir...... That'll be 40 Riyal..... I gave him 50 and left a happy chappie....

But back to the original question - could you get anything in a UK Barber for 8 quid??

I am sure 20+ years ago a plain haircut cost that?

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    He the proceded with a face massage with some Oil, some very delicate trimming round ears, nose, lips etc.... then full lather and gets into the full business with strop and Cutthroat...... bit more delicate stuff.... another little massage with oil... bit of moisturiser and I'm done......

Thank you sir...... That'll be 40 Riyal..... I gave him 50 and left a happy chappie....

But back to the original question - could you get anything in a UK Barber for 8 quid??
    I wish I could find more places like this in the UK that give a full shave. I had a few while working in Turkey and they were bloody ace. Haven't found many places here that will do it let alone having any change out of 20!!!!

For 8 quid you don't even get the half price bloody apprentice nowadays!!!!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Last time I went for a haircut (2 years ago) it cost me £4.50. That was my limit, so I went and bought some hair clippers. Never looked back.

Comment

get mine done for about £7.50 ( no shave though!)

although you can probably tell

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Last time I went for a haircut (2 years ago) it cost me £4.50. That was my limit, so I went and bought some hair clippers. Never looked back.
          WHS

I think I have paid for about 8 hair cuts in my entire life. Usually weddings, funerals or similar.

Scrag's Hair CUT C.V.
          0-16 yrs, Mother cut my hair
          16-18, Girlfriend (Pro Hairdresser)
          18-21, Student barely bothered cutting it at all. Down to my shoulders at least.
          22-34, Wife
          34-Present, Me or Fiancee with a set of clippers, grade 1 FTW.

Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            .....18-21, Student barely bothered cutting it at all. Down to my shoulders at least...........
            When I stopped being a Student I went to the Barbers at the end of my road and had my waist length hair sheared....... only a few years after that I bought some clippers.... hence last time I went to a Barbers was <huurumph> years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I wish I could find more places like this in the UK that give a full shave. I had a few while working in Turkey and they were bloody ace. Haven't found many places here that will do it let alone having any change out of 20!!!!

For 8 quid you don't even get the half price bloody apprentice nowadays!!!!

I love Turkey, you name it; they do it or can mend it... and cheap. When I go to Turkey I take with me shoes that need mending, and any odd bits and pieces around the house that need fixing. And the beer, a nice cold Efes on a hot day … fantastic.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
              X