• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flipping clients!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flipping clients!

Just venting my spleen cos I'm a bit annoyed.

Did an online test for a gig 2 nights ago, only 10 questions, 2 of which where about regular expressions.

Was told by the client that the test was purely about how you cope under pressure and so speed was of the utmost importance, and not to look up the answers as this will show by the time it takes you.

Flipping router dies on me half way through as I click next after the first reg exp question, have to reboot router and click refresh only to be presented with the same question, so put in the same answer hit next.
    At that point I realise from the question numbers that it wasn't actually the same question so I must have read one of them wrong, no way I was hitting back and risking loosing more time (speed is utmost remember) so I carry on, at the end (took around 8 mins including router reboot) I get a message thanking me for doing the test and they will be in touch.

Today I get a call saying I got 8/10 correct, not bad I though as I know for a fact I screwed up at least one of the reg exp questions, however my time was logged at over 6 hours!
    I explained what happened and clientco asked me to do the test again.
    I did the test again within 20 minutes (I was out with the dog when they called) and realised I had misread BOTH reg exp questions -Doh! finished in a couple of minutes and took a screenshot of the thank you page, emailed all this to client to prove I had finished in good time.

Get's call back, sorry not going to take it any further because I got 100% so I must have read up on regualr expressions before redoing the test as I clearly didn't know how to do them from the first test (admitidly they were easy, but I had totally misread them).

So, from their point of view they think that I knew nothing about regular expressions and in 20 minutes ran home from the beach and researched the subject enough to be able to answer their questions without hesitating, and this is a bad thing???

Grrrrrrrrrr

Remember the days when they'd ring on Friday and ask you to start Monday on nothing more than the strength of your CV?

I feel like a performing monkey these days.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Ever since I was a kid if a client has had me do a test I try and get the lowest mark possible.

I did slip up one time when I got myself a perfect score.

Don't fuss with the client whining about your results, they just didn't want you, and the test score is nothing to do with it. When a client says a reason why they don't want you: in one ear, out the other. They're the ones in failure, not you.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It's been a long wait, but finally - Threaded is right... It's just an excuse, for any number of reasons, someone else got the job - could just as easily be a mate of someone who is there or who worked there before, but they won't tell you that, forget it.

Comment

Yeah I realise it's a load of tosh, I'm just flabberghasted that someone responsible for hiring techies could ever state that people learning new skills quickly is a BAD thing......

I really think I have dodged a bullet by not getting that gig!

2 interviews next week though <fingers crossed smiley>

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
            Yeah I realise it's a load of tosh, I'm just flabberghasted that someone responsible for hiring techies could ever state that people learning new skills quickly is a BAD thing......
            Seriously suggest you study some management courses, (the OU do a nice cert. in management for example), 'cause it sounds like you're not using the 'right management words' to hit their sweet spot.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
            X