• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insomnia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insomnia

Anyone else out there suffer from the abject misery of insomnia? I've had it for years & it gets worse as I get older. I can actually go a whole night without any sleep now, despite trying my utmost to go to sleep. The net result is that I drive to work the next day in an unfit state feeling like absolute sh*t and I spend the whole day feeling nauseous with cold sweats and a vile taste in my mouth. I've tried all kinds of things like cutting out coffee, not boozing on work nights etc but I lie there and while I feel tired it also feels like there is a gram of whizz coursing through my system. I'd go and see a doctor but I get the impression that they'd put me on pills which would create a whole new load of problems. As you'll notice from the time of this post, I'm suffering again - that God it's friday is all I can say right now.

Take up cycling. It's amazing what it cures.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Is there noise or light disturbing you?

When I lived in London, the light and the noise was such that I could not sleep if I was sober so I used to drink myself into a coma most nights. That works btw but is probably worse for you than sleeping pills.

I live somewhere quiet and peaceful now and can sleep comfortably most of the time - I have only had the insomnia twice in the last year.

Stress will keep you awake at night too. Have a good think about it, you might be surprised about what could be stressing you.

Comment

Cycling is good for stress too.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

When I lived in London, the light and the noise was such that I could not sleep if I was sober so I used to drink myself into a coma most nights. That works btw but is probably worse for you than sleeping pills.
          Booze is good to get me off to sleep in the first instance but it usually wakes me in the middle of the night and I find it even harder than normal to get back to sleep. This insomnia I'm having now though is extreme - a whole night without any sleep at all just isn't normal

Comment

You definately not sleeping at all? I know myself that I reckon I've not slept but actually I have, just fitfully. feels like no sleep at all but you do get the odd bits here and there through the night. I think the 'gotta sleep' panic takes over....

Do you get anxious? Heart palpitations?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              You definately not sleeping at all? I know myself that I reckon I've not slept but actually I have, just fitfully. feels like no sleep at all but you do get the odd bits here and there through the night. I think the 'gotta sleep' panic takes over....

Do you get anxious? Heart palpitations?
              Absolutely no sleep at all. I normally just get up once I'm within 2 or 3 hours of the alarm going off as I generally feel worse waking after such a small amount of sleep than staying up right the way through. There's definitely some 'gotta sleep' panic there - I'm a night owl at heart, always have been, & I'm on a gig at the moment that requires getting up at 5.30 am & I'm pre occupied with trying to get a good night's sleep as I know what torture it is the day after a sleepless night.

Comment

I empathise. It's a horrible feeling to have, and can leave you feeling like you're in a twilight world. To varying degrees of success I've misused the following to get to sleep:
                Night Nurse (makes you groggy in the morning)
                Valerian tablets and Dr Stuart's Valerian tea
                Armagnac or <your booze of choice>
                Rohypnol (yes, really... Lights OUT)
                Temazepam (utterly brilliant stuff. Although addictive)
                Codeine-based painkillers
                Schmoking

None of which (apart from valerian) are really a sensible long-term option health-wise... Threaded's spot on about the cycling. Proper exercise (at least an hour) does wonders for regulating the system. Without it I feel unhealthy and tired all the time.

Comment

Or even just a gentle jog around the block if you haven't got into this crazy exercise thingy yet...

And no drinking tea, coffee or alcohol* as least 1 hour before you go to bed.

(Although I like a nice whiskey, but to pull everything at the beginning.)
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    I empathise. It's a horrible feeling to have, and can leave you feeling like you're in a twilight world. To varying degrees of success I've misused the following to get to sleep:
                    Night Nurse (makes you groggy in the morning)
                    Valerian tablets and Dr Stuart's Valerian tea
                    Armagnac or <your booze of choice>
                    Rohypnol (yes, really... Lights OUT)
                    Temazepam (utterly brilliant stuff. Although addictive)
                    Codeine-based painkillers
                    Schmoking

None of which (apart from valerian) are really a sensible long-term option health-wise... Threaded's spot on about the cycling. Proper exercise (at least an hour) does wonders for regulating the system. Without it I feel unhealthy and tired all the time.
                    I tend to use Alcohol(though Im drinking way way too much) and now got into a habit of drinking at least a bottle of wine a night or Temazepam which is great.

Though I find since going back to contracting I can sleep easier as its removed the stress of a Perm role.

Just taken up the gym again, and so instead of popping into the pub for a couple of pints on the way home, going to the gym instead. Time will tell if that works/
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X