• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It is St George's Day today - I bet you didn't remember, where is English Patriotism?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is St George's Day today - I bet you didn't remember, where is English Patriotism?

Yes today, April 23rd its St George's Day - do you remember the governments pathetic attempt to reintroduce a day of English patriotism ? it sort of fell flat on its face.

Does no-one care about English Patriotism anymore ? do we think its a taboo subject in the Liberal minded / politically correct society we live in ? Or is it that we just don't care anymore about the identity of England ?

Discuss.

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    Yes today, April 23rd its St George's Day - do you remember the governments pathetic attempt to reintroduce a day of English patriotism ? it sort of fell flat on its face.

Does no-one care about English Patriotism anymore ? do we think its a taboo subject in the Liberal minded / politically correct society we live in ? Or is it that we just don't care anymore about the identity of England ?

Discuss.
    The English should celebrate St George's Day - nobody is stopping us apart from ourselves!

So, happy St George's Day!!!

Comment

I normally have a red rose pinned to my lapel when I work.

Sadly it's not viewed in the same way that St Patrick's St Andrew's or St David's days are.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Patriotism and it's sister nationalism are just a way of the leaders controlling the masses. It's a load of bollocks.

"Dulce et Decorum est pro Patria Mori" sums it up nicely.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I was going to have a big St Georges Day display across both windows of my shop, as I have the flags & other gubbins ready for the World Cup.

My manager is Italian. I spent 1/2 an hour trying to explain to her who St George was and what I wanted done with the window.

<ItalianAccent>Heya, you wanta me to putta a dragona in the window. Where am I gonna get a dragona from at last minute, you justa told me St George killeda the last one!</ItalianAccent>
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Oh yes I did remember.

I've even arranged with the punters to nip out early this afternoon and get a few cheep beers in before it gets too busy tonight.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              Patriotism and it's sister nationalism are just a way of the leaders controlling the masses. It's a load of bollocks.
              its

Let's at least speak the language of St George properly!
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                its

That'll be Latin, Greek, and Hebrew then.

OK, luckily I got 'O' Levels in that lot.

καταπύγων
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

its

Romanes eunt domus
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

its

est is melior vos pedant
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                    X