• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do you vote as you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you vote as you do?

Seeing the strong bias in the poll on how you will vote (in which I have not voted, BTW), I am prompted to ask a follow-up: why? Is it because you think that you personally will be better off under the Conservatives? And is that a sufficient reason to vote Conservative?

I dislike extremes and 1 party with 4 terms in office is not good for the country or the party.

I like the idea of the new party balancing out the extremes of the old.

I voted Labour in 1997 (I voted Lib/Dem in '92, what a wasted vote... ) and I'm going to vote Conservative in this election for that reason.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Seeing the strong bias in the poll on how you will vote (in which I have not voted, BTW), I am prompted to ask a follow-up: why? Is it because you think that you personally will be better off under the Conservatives? And is that a sufficient reason to vote Conservative?
      You would vote for a party that would leave you personally worse off and let them spend your extra tax money on the welfare state? I'd rather pour my loose change down the drain than indirectly give it to some scrounging single mum who should be told that having children with eight different men is morally reprehensible.

PS - The submit button is a tad far down the page. Whats with that?

PPS - My scorn and anger isn't directed at you, more the scroungers!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I dislike extremes and 1 party with 4 terms in office is not good for the country or the party.

I like the idea of the new party balancing out the extremes of the old.

I voted Labour in 1997 (I voted Lib/Dem in '92, what a wasted vote... ) and I'm going to vote Conservative in this election for that reason.
        That's quite like my point of view. I won't be voting Labour, but that is not from having assessed which party I think will be better for my personal finances. Personally I'd be ashamed to base my vote on that, but I have a sneaking suspicion that many on this board are just that venal.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
          You would vote for a party that would leave you personally worse off
          Yes, I might, if I liked their other policies more than I dislike losing money. My real question was, are their things that you like more than you dislike losing money?

and let them spend your extra tax money on the welfare state? I'd rather pour my loose change down the drain than indirectly give it to some scrounging single mum who should be told that having children with eight different men is morally reprehensible.

PS - The submit button is a tad far down the page. Whats with that?

PPS - My scorn and anger isn't directed at you, more the scroungers!
          Well, I didn't ask whether you want to support scroungers (personally I don't). I asked whether your money was the most important thing in the world to you (personally it isn't, by a long way).

Comment

Yes, I might, if I liked their other policies more than I dislike losing money. My real question was, are their things that you like more than you dislike losing money?

Well, I didn't ask whether you want to support scroungers (personally I don't). I asked whether your money was the most important thing in the world to you (personally it isn't, by a long way).
            I would have no problem paying the amounts we pay now if I knew it was benefiting either myself or someone who is justly deserving of it. The current government does not convince me however that this is the case. Therefore, either convince me that you know better, give me the ability to decide where my money goes (maybe in some cool % Slider Web Part when I fill in my self assessment?) or don't tax me so hard and I'll decide whether I wish to aportion my wealth to the more needy!

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
              I would have no problem paying the amounts we pay now if I knew it was benefiting either myself or someone who is justly deserving of it. The current government does not convince me however that this is the case. Therefore, either convince me that you know better, give me the ability to decide where my money goes (maybe in some cool % Slider Web Part when I fill in my self assessment?) or don't tax me so hard and I'll decide whether I wish to aportion my wealth to the more needy!
              You seem to be mistaking me for someone who is attemptingto convince you of something.

I asked whether you vote on more than your own money. Your answer is clear: you do. Good.

Comment

As I am pretty disinterested in politics and think which ever party gets in will do some good, make a hash of something and generally see us though some how I will be giving my vote to the one party that I feel has the best option to deal with what ticks me off the most. If it is one of the smaller parties then so be it. I feel that it is good to have the smaller voices there showing the big guys they need to listen and adapt.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The welfare state isn't going to go away, but it needs to be financed in a long term sustainable way, rather than a borrow money and go on a spending spree way that Labour likes so much. Lots of the tax we pay just goes to boosting the profits of foreign money lenders rather than pay for people on benefits to go on holiday and get stuck at airports, etc.

If the Tories do manage to get the spending under control, reduce the deficit, and get us to a position where we have only the public services and welfare spending we can afford, then that ultimately is better for everybody. Even the feckless workshy scroungers are ultimately better off under the Tories.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You seem to be mistaking me for someone who is attemptingto convince you of something.

I asked whether you vote on more than your own money. Your answer is clear: you do. Good.
                    Think I myself have miscommunicated as well. The statement wasn't aimed at you, more kind of fired off in the rough direction of the political parties. Since none of the parties have managed to convince me that they know better, and its unlikely that we as a population will be given the ability to decide for ourselves what we wish to spend the money on, I therefore have to base my decision on who will run the country on a less tax, less public service policy.

My decision on who I will vote for therefore will be decided mainly on who can run the government most efficiently!

Comment

Working...
                    X