• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arrows

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrows

As someone who used to occasionally play darts in the pub I appreciate just what a difficult and skillfull game it is. Add in its down to Earth honesty and the fact that I believe that it is every bit as much of a sport as chucking javelins, synchronised swimming and archery I firmly believe that it should be an Olympic event.

Bring on the medals England
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    As someone who used to occasionally play darts in the pub I appreciate just what a difficult and skillfull game it is. Add in its down to Earth honesty and the fact that I believe that it is every bit as much of a sport as chucking javelins, synchronised swimming and archery I firmly believe that it should be an Olympic event.

Bring on the medals England
    Thing about chuckin' t'arrows is getting t'correct number of pints down't neck!

S'all about balance!
    Last edited by Churchill; 13 January 2006, 18:25.

Comment

Darts ? Are you kidding me DA ? Darts is a chav's game for the working classes.

A dartboard is also one of those things your parents get you when you reach 13, and you hang on the back of your door. It's like a rite of passage in to adultlhood.

Also fecking lethal when your kid brother comes in to your room without knocking...
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
        Darts ? Are you kidding me DA ? Darts is a chav's game for the working classes.

A dartboard is also one of those things your parents get you when you reach 13, and you hang on the back of your door. It's like a rite of passage in to adultlhood.

Also fecking lethal when your kid brother comes in to your room without knocking...
        Yes but it should still be an olympic sport (though the medal podiums may need a bit of strengthening).
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to the Olympics.

I think it should return to the original games that were created and be held in the orignal location.

The 10 Olympic Events
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Isn't darts just the indoor version of the Javelin?

Comment

Olympics

All sports where the outcome is judged should be thrown out (synchronised swimming, gymnastics etc). Which means darts are in !!

Comment

AFAIK Darts wasnt on the list of 10 events.

I suppose you could say darts are a derivative of a javelin, but then you could say dwarf throwing is a derivative of the discus, and that's not in the Olympic Games (dwarf-throwing that is, not the discus, which is).

If it's not in the original 10, then it's not part of the Olympic Games.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
                  AFAIK Darts wasnt on the list of 10 events.

I suppose you could say darts are a derivative of a javelin, but then you could say dwarf throwing is a derivative of the discus, and that's not in the Olympic Games (dwarf-throwing that is, not the discus, which is).

If it's not in the original 10, then it's not part of the Olympic Games.
                  I think you will find that they may have added a few more since your day

Comment

10 events? It would be all over in a weekend - and we wouldn't have to spend £1bn to host it. Center Parcs could cope...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X