• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whisky reviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whisky reviews

I know quite a few of you are whisky drinkers and thought you might like to view this chaps youTube channel where he goes through various whiskys. Well thought of in the Glasgow whisky drinkers group and is friend of a friend. It's a good watch if you like that kind of thing.

YouTube - ralfystuff's Channel

I was looking at the Ardbeg tonight that he is reviewing just now, decided to go with the Old Pulteney again as it is on a great special, the full on beating with a peat spade the Ardbeg gives you is something I will get round to shortly.
    Last edited by minestrone; 23 April 2010, 19:50.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I know quite a few of you are whisky drinkers and thought you might like to view this chaps youTube channel where he goes through various whiskys. Well thought of in the Glasgow whisky drinkers group and is friend of a friend. It's a good watch if you like that kind of thing.

YouTube - ralfystuff's Channel

I was looking at the Ardbeg tonight that he is reviewing just now, decided to go with the Old Pulteney again as it is on a great special, the full on beating with a peat spade the Ardbeg gives you is something I will get round to shortly.
    If you think Ardbeg is strong on peat, you'll probably find Lagavulin a bit of a challenge.

Nice cafe at the Ardbeg distillery.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
      If you think Ardbeg is strong on peat, you'll probably find Lagavulin a bit of a challenge.

Ardbeg has about twice the amount of peat a Lagavulin has.

Comment

Would never claim to be anything of an expert, but do have my favourites from most of the various regions.
        For Lowland I like a Glengoyne, for Speyside I am partial to Tamdhu, Glenfarclas, and Macallan, and for the islands I like Laophraig and Talisker, whilst for Northern I am partial to Highland Park.
        This list is by no means the extent of my taste, but is a reasonable baseline for what I have tried thus far and would definitely return to.
        It is all, of course, subject to personal taste. But great fun exploring, if a tad expensive at times.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Ardbeg has about twice the amount of peat a Lagavulin has.
          Well to me Lagavulin has the much more peaty taste so I'm suprised by that.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Would never claim to be anything of an expert, but do have my favourites from most of the various regions.
            For Lowland I like a Glengoyne, for Speyside I am partial to Tamdhu, Glenfarclas, and Macallan, and for the islands I like Laophraig and Talisker, whilst for Northern I am partial to Highland Park.
            This list is by no means the extent of my taste, but is a reasonable baseline for what I have tried thus far and would definitely return to.
            It is all, of course, subject to personal taste. But great fun exploring, if a tad expensive at times.
            Mmm I like them all, but Macallan, Talisker, and Highland Park score high for me too.

Comment

Peat per million...

The peatiest/smokiest of the single malts as proven by science.
              ppm (peat parts per million) of the top 3 peatiest single malts
              Ardbeg - 56 ppm
              Laphroaig - 35 ppm
              Lagavulin - 25 - 30 ppm

Comment

Peat per million...

The peatiest/smokiest of the single malts as proven by science.
                ppm (peat parts per million) of the top 3 peatiest single malts
                Ardbeg - 56 ppm
                Laphroaig - 35 ppm
                Lagavulin - 25 - 30 ppm
                Bit of time since I've had an Ardbeg or a Lagavulin, Ardbeg always seemed not so pungent as Lagavulin,
                but I like all the Islay malts. I think Bowmore 12 year old is probably my favourite.

Comment

Bit of time since I've had an Ardbeg or a Lagavulin, Ardbeg always seemed not so pungent as Lagavulin,
                  but I like all the Islay malts. I think Bowmore 12 year old is probably my favourite.
                  The Laphroaig and Lagavulin really hits you with the peat and when you have a glass you can say "that is peaty but I enjoy it", the ardbeg is so peaty you kind of do not notice the peat as much, don't think that makes sense but that's what my thougths are.

Comment

I've just bought another bottle of Ardbeg, great stuff, my favourite Islay malt, smokey and peaty. I also love the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and Lasanta.

Comment

Working...
                    X