• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting the perfect lawn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the perfect lawn

Having the best lawn in the street is a sort of status symbol I think, as good as having the best car I would say, it shows you have attention to detail and dedicated to something that other people often do not appreciate, class almost. Anyway, enough of this bourgeoisie drivel I hear you say.

New house bought end of last year and the lawns are looking a bit jaded. Picked up an electric scarifier this morning, or lawn rake as they seem to be called these days for the plebs. Filled up my garden waste wheelie bin with only half the back lawn done.

Applied Westland Lawn Feed, Weed & Moss Killer over the lawn so i'm hoping for a big improvement in the new 2 weeks, think I will go in for another feed in about 8 weeks. Any green fingered contractors?

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    ....... stuff about manual labour........
    Shirley you just get the gardener to sort it?

I get great pleasure out of gardens... but sitting/standing/playing/cooking in the garden not <cough> working in the garden......

Although TBH MrsD does enjoy actually doing some of that manual stuff... she even has an allotment to allow her to do even more physical labour.... me I'm just a lazy b*gger.....

Pottering about with my Bees is my limit......

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
      Shirley you just get the gardener to sort it?
      Well, one of the farm staff when they've not got anything else to do.

Teaching folks over here how to do stripes was a challenge, and finding a ride on cylinder style lawn mower meant a trip to Germany.

But people knowing they're at the right address, "'cause only an English person would have a lawn like that", is lovely.

Which is nice.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Well, one of the farm staff when they've not got anything else to do.

Teaching folks over here how to do stripes was a challenge, and finding a ride on cylinder style lawn mower meant a trip to Germany.

But people knowing they're at the right address, "'cause only an English person would have a lawn like that", is lovely.

Which is nice.
        Well done that man!! Wot! Wot!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          That's exactly what I was describing in my opening paragraph, of course I'm not English though.

Comment

Our grass was looking pretty iffy a couple of years back. The front was more weeds than grass. Signed up with TruGreen service and they worked miracles. They come round every couple of months and put down various stuff. It looks fantastic.

Costs about £200pa for roughly 250m2.

Comment

I bought the gardner a sit on lawnmower thingie to do the 4 acres of grass here. No point in doing stripes as the grassy area is broken up with apple trees and a eucalyptus. The pagoda and bridges need a wee bit of attention so that's the major job for this summer.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Having the best lawn in the street is a sort of status symbol I think, as good as having the best car I would say, it shows you have attention to detail and dedicated to something that other people often do not appreciate, class almost. Anyway, enough of this bourgeoisie drivel I hear you say.

New house bought end of last year and the lawns are looking a bit jaded. Picked up an electric scarifier this morning, or lawn rake as they seem to be called these days for the plebs. Filled up my garden waste wheelie bin with only half the back lawn done.

Applied Westland Lawn Feed, Weed & Moss Killer over the lawn so i'm hoping for a big improvement in the new 2 weeks, think I will go in for another feed in about 8 weeks. Any green fingered contractors?
                I don't know much about the gardening my missus is the green fingered one and likes to spend lots of time in the garden and keeping it all trim. I heard on the phone to her sister the other day who is also a keen gardener but all I could here them talking about was how to keep their bushes trim.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Lawn Feed / Weed stuff was a bad move...in the long term, organic is best way i think

Scarify it, then apply some compost mixed with some fresh grass seed...spike it if poor drainage...

Thereafter mow regularly...and secret i think is to leave grass clippings on to feed the grass...

Comment

I have a lawn that would cause nightmares, unfortunately due to the ever burgeoning nest of ants that revisits very year (despite my best efforts and rentokills) it is a lost cause.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X