• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being marginalised on a contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being marginalised on a contract.

A former colleague of mine contacted me today to ask for advice.

Basically she told me this;

She started a new contract a month ago, there's no resignation clause. Team comprises of a hands off test manager, two senior TA's, and two TA's of which she is one. Her colleague has less contract TA experience.

She said she didnt think much of it at first but its become clear in the last week that she is being marginalised within the team. There are no personality clashes or anything like that but its become obvious the two STA's give all work instructions to the other TA who then tells her what work there is to do.

My former colleague doesnt see why this should be so. She has comprehensive knowledge of the work subject matter and processes etc having worked on similar work before.

She said she first noticed something strange in the 2nd week of the contract when she was effectively being given work to do by the other TA. At first she didnt think much off it but its got to the point when its really starting to bug her.

Virtually every time she glances up, the other 3 are gathered around a pc so she started getting up and asking what was being discussed which, always turned out to be work \ task related.

Last week she said she was getting put out about it that she said in passing to the other TA why arent the STA's talking directly to her. The response she got was non committal.

The way I see it, she has a couple of options. The first is to accept the situation and just get on with it. But, a do nothing scenario wont resolve anything. The second option is to sit tight until the end of the contract then look for something else. However, she says the rate is good and work could stretch ahead for 2 years or more making it a nice little earner. The third option is to bring the matter to a head and speak up. This could either resolve the situation or make things worse in all manner of ways such as possibly causing ill feeling within the team.

I told her to see how things go this coming week and if she's certain she is being marginalised she should decide whether the money is worth the hassle or start looking for a new contract.

I wasnt certain how or what she could say to the STA's other than outright asking why she seemed to be the last to find out what work was to be done. Should she tackle the STA's or the Test Manager and if so, what should she say?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    A former colleague of mine contacted me today to ask for advice.

Basically she told me this;

She started a new contract a month ago, there's no resignation clause. Team comprises of a hands off test manager, two senior TA's, and two TA's of which she is one. Her colleague has less contract TA experience.

She said she didnt think much of it at first but its become clear in the last week that she is being marginalised within the team. There are no personality clashes or anything like that but its become obvious the two STA's give all work instructions to the other TA who then tells her what work there is to do.

My former colleague doesnt see why this should be so. She has comprehensive knowledge of the work subject matter and processes etc having worked on similar work before.

She said she first noticed something strange in the 2nd week of the contract when she was effectively being given work to do by the other TA. At first she didnt think much off it but its got to the point when its really starting to bug her.

Virtually every time she glances up, the other 3 are gathered around a pc so she started getting up and asking what was being discussed which, always turned out to be work \ task related.

Last week she said she was getting put out about it that she said in passing to the other TA why arent the STA's talking directly to her. The response she got was non committal.

The way I see it, she has a couple of options. The first is to accept the situation and just get on with it. But, a do nothing scenario wont resolve anything. The second option is to sit tight until the end of the contract then look for something else. However, she says the rate is good and work could stretch ahead for 2 years or more making it a nice little earner. The third option is to bring the matter to a head and speak up. This could either resolve the situation or make things worse in all manner of ways such as possibly causing ill feeling within the team.

I told her to see how things go this coming week and if she's certain she is being marginalised she should decide whether the money is worth the hassle or start looking for a new contract.

I wasnt certain how or what she could say to the STA's other than outright asking why she seemed to be the last to find out what work was to be done. Should she tackle the STA's or the Test Manager and if so, what should she say?
    It all depends on her personality and how she comes across. I normally muscle my way in and take over the driving, so it's difficult to call.

But if I was her and she's not the gung ho type, then I would have a word with the Test Manager in the first place. Then work my way through the options. At the end of the day though, the no notice clause is a load of bollocks. If I wanted to get out of a contract I just not turn up and have the agency terminate it.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I had this situation on my first contract nearly 10 years ago, I went out with some style I can tell you. With the experience I have now I would have just put up with the situation. Where I used to be a young foolish pup hoping to give every ounce of work for my daily rate I now give what the client wants and often that is doing nothing or something close. Give the client what they want is my moto. Tell her to put up with it I say.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        It all depends on her personality and how she comes across. I normally muscle my way in and take over the driving, so it's difficult to call.

But if I was her and she's not the gung ho type, then I would have a word with the Test Manager in the first place. Then work my way through the options. At the end of the day though, the no notice clause is a load of bollocks. If I wanted to get out of a contract I just not turn up and have the agency terminate it.
        She's not the gung ho type but neither is she the shrinking violet! I think she's concerned she'll be seen as the junior member of the team and that this could be carried forward within the project as it roles on or, if the project ever downsizes, she'd (unfairly) be seen as the first likely casualty in the team to be slung out!

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I had this situation on my first contract nearly 10 years ago, I went out with some style I can tell you. With the experience I have now I would have just put up with the situation. Where I used to be a young foolish pup hoping to give every ounce of work for my daily rate I now give what the client wants and often that is doing nothing or something close. Give the client what they want is my moto. Tell her to put up with it I say.
        I think she see this is part of the problem. She doesnt think she's able to give the client what they want because she's being made to play a very junior role by the STA's.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

This doesn' sound like a consultant role therefore....

If she has just started the contract how can she possibly expect she would know what was required better than those who are bedding her in? IMHO this is quite a common occurence and not something to take umbridge with, whatever your ego. Now. if 6 months down the line she is effectively Office Junior then 3 options remain:

1/ Take some responsibility - be proactive
          2/ Do the job and take the money - document anything she is being asked to do that may be stupid
          3/ Look for another contract
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 24 April 2010, 20:11.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            This doesn' sound like a consultant role therefore....

If she has just started the contract how can she possibly expect she would know what was required better than those who are bedding her in? IMHO this is quite a common occurence and not something to take umbridge with, whatever your ego. Now. if 6 months down the line she is effectively Office Junior then 3 options remain:

1/ Take some responsibility - be proactive
            2/ Do the job and take the money - document anything she is being asked to do that may be stupid
            3/ Look for another contract
            and if that office junior is on senior rates then there's no issue(and hopefully no stress), then the only issue is the percievement of the role when she wants to move on.

Sometimes it is better to bide your time and catcha monkey so to speak. So sit out and wait for the tulip
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              I think she see this is part of the problem. She doesnt think she's able to give the client what they want because she's being made to play a very junior role by the STA's.
              My last permie job was technical lead of a small but aspiring company, I was in charge of 15 people, I went contracting and trebled my wages overnight and found myself hacking HTML. It's tulip but that is contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                My last permie job was technical lead of a small but aspiring company, I was in charge of 15 people, I went contracting and trebled my wages overnight and found myself hacking HTML. It's tulip but that is contracting.
                Quite. Does she want a career or does she want to make money?

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
                  Quite. Does she want a career or does she want to make money?
                  What he said.
                  She is the (or 'a') junior member of the team, so why should she been worried about being seen as the junior member? Was she the last in? Has she just joined recently?That might explain things a little.

I think she is being a bit touchy about it. I think maybe she wants to be a senior based on what you say about her knowledge being comprehensive etc. I've been in that situation before and didn;t care to be honest. I was the last in. It just made me in future try to get on new projects starting up rather than established ones. COntractor job titles are often BS, so her TA colleague may just be more senior.

I do agree that the STA's (or preferably the TM) should if anything be dishing out the work, but we're not permies here. If they feel the TA is more senior (maybe having been there longer), they can allow him to make judgement on what work to give her.

She has a few choices:
                  1. Just get on with it.
                  2 Approach TM about who should be dishing out the work and possibly be seen as being a PITA and contract ends shortly afterwards.
                  3 Try to encourange team meetings where she can have her say in things (including the work she does), but do it totally non-confrontationally

To me they've got it wrong anyway, in such a small team they don't need 1 TM, 2 STA's and 2 TA's, hence the job titles are probably rubbish anyway.

Back in my testing days I was employed once as a TA when I had more experience than the TM and I thought the show was being run poorly, but what do you do? I just got on with it, because after all,I took the TA contract. I gave advice in the right way. I've also been employed as a TA but on joining I was asked to be TM for the project and ended up having the official TM working under me when he came free from managing another project. THey just got on with it too, giving me friendly advice now and again having been there longer and knowing how client co work. Would your lady have thrown her toys around in that scenario?
                  Last edited by SuperZ; 25 April 2010, 09:28.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I tend to bide my time and play slowly slowly catchee monkey on this one to get where I want to be. In this situation it's a good idea to prove your competence before putting pressure on.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X