• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Damn - Let a permie get to me.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn - Let a permie get to me.

Broken all my own rules and did exactly what I would tell others not to do !
    Perm has been slopey shouldering his workload straight to me since I started. Most of it is justifed, I have taken some of his role and I am a contractor so will try to help where possible. Had to draw a line when he bounced a request to do training for software I have never seen or used before (I am not in a technical OR training role), he got asked and was scrambling to get out of it - I know, that contractor has taken the rest, let's try him. He turns up at my desk and tries to force me to do it. I start off very calm, sorry I am not comfortable with that, he won't take no and spends 15 minutes getting more stressed and louder. That doesn't work great on me, I just dig in harder unfortunately. Of course, he has already been in to complain to hiring manager. A contractor never wins these arguments and it could well cost me a renewal which would be unfortunate. I can usually deal with these types but not this time !!

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Broken all my own rules and did exactly what I would tell others not to do !
    Perm has been slopey shouldering his workload straight to me since I started. Most of it is justifed, I have taken some of his role and I am a contractor so will try to help where possible. Had to draw a line when he bounced a request to do training for software I have never seen or used before (I am not in a technical OR training role), he got asked and was scrambling to get out of it - I know, that contractor has taken the rest, let's try him. He turns up at my desk and tries to force me to do it. I start off very calm, sorry I am not comfortable with that, he won't take no and spends 15 minutes getting more stressed and louder. That doesn't work great on me, I just dig in harder unfortunately. Of course, he has already been in to complain to hiring manager. A contractor never wins these arguments and it could well cost me a renewal which would be unfortunate. I can usually deal with these types but not this time !!
    Easy answer. When you speak to the Hiring manager about it, mention that he has been moving most of us his work to you, and that you are happy with this on the whole.

Then ask the question. If A is passing all of his work to me, and I am doing my work, what exactly do we need A for?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It happens - as much as you think you've been in this game long enough etc..etc...

I think standing up to someone at my current gig has cost me a renewal, but there is a point where self respect comes into it.

Had a similar thing a few weeks ago, was asked to present to senior management on a commercial issue I know nothing about as the person who knows about it couldn't be bothered...

Comment

Spoke to hiring manager, they agreed this isn't on my list but it's more the fallout, easy to acquire a tag of being unhelpful etc + know this chap will be gunning, whispering in ears, already trying to undermine me etc.
        I can deal with it, I have been in much worse places and roles and I would still say no if I had to again ! Think I was just shocked that he thought he could force me to do it and didn't take the chance to back down when I said no.

Comment

Time to go back to your contract I believe. What does it say there. Yes you are quite right in what you say about helping and taking on some work but you cannot take on work you have not been contracted to do for a number of reasons. Two that stand out are it will cause problems for you when it comes to IR35 and client control and will also cause issues about your ability to deliver to your origingal contracual commitments you were taken on to do.

You are right about the contractor never winning a moan at the hiring guys but if it is in writing then no one can complain.

Difficult situation indeed but check your contract and see where that puts you.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have to say my attitude would be I'd do it, or I would try by damndest to do it. I would never say no outright. I mean this is just a training the people you'll be training will no absolutely nothing, so I reckon 24 hours of surfing would probably give you enough to give a sh*tty training, no-one will care that it is a sh*tty training, as long as the training took place. As a contractor your job is not to produce great Software, it is to make the life of your immediate permie boss, easy, think mentality "Butler" and you won't go far wrong.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Surely all the extra work you've taken from him was a goodwill gesture from YourCo?

Any additional work will have to go through the hiring managerand you'd be more than happy to negotiate a rate for it.

Comment

Fair point Blaster, that would tend to be my policy as well, hence the regret in getting in this situation. Just something about the attitude pushed my buttons on this one. This nobber has no direct link but has been using a tenuous connection to off-load everything he doesn't want to do (which is everything) which I have sucked up. Even then, if he had said they were in a pickle, any chance you can help out, will help put the plan together etc, there is a fair chance I would have done it. Instead it was a total palm-off, please deal with this, just got my hackles up and as soon as he started trying to bully me into it, unfortunately it was only going to end in tears. I've been worked on by professionals in bullying, this was like being 'savaged by a dead sheep' !

Comment

Working...
                X