• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How bad does a year out gap look on a CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad does a year out gap look on a CV?

How bad would a one-year gap out of work look on a cv on somebody who is 40 and worked continously for the past 15 years?

And no, I am not going to do an MBA or something similar (perhaps a distance learning course but nothing glamorous).

Would this look very suspicious in the eyes of potential employers (especially for contracts since they want you to start from day 1 and you might be quite rusty) and substantially reduce your chances of finding employment (let alone a very rare niche skill set or a total lack of skills - let's assume for now the case of an averagely skilled IT person)?

Did anybody do something similar and regret/did not regret it?

Cheers,
    Franco
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Took 5 months out in... 2006 or was it 07, 3 of them were intentional. Every agent I told "was for training purposes" - never had a problem. I think most good agents would understand, and if you're good at what you do you'll not have a problem getting back on the saddle.

If you want to take a holiday (shorter one) do it during the contract. Incredible as that sounds I've once negotiated a 2 month extension, during which I would not charge, and took the 2 months off back to back. If it's OK with the project and the line manager I do recommend. As the old saying goes:

'don't ask don't get'
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Took 5 months out in... 2006 or was it 07, 3 of them were intentional. Every agent I told "was for training purposes" - never had a problem. I think most good agents would understand, and if you're good at what you do you'll not have a problem getting back on the saddle.
      WSS

I took 6 months out to travel a few years ago but put it down to training with no problems.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        How bad would a one-year gap out of work look on a cv on somebody who is 40 and worked continously for the past 15 years?
        TBH I don't give a flying ****. I'm not contracting just to be tulip scared to do what I want with my life.

I have had a few gap years, but alas the latest was 20 years ago. Nobody even noticed AFAIK. Contracting has come to a pretty pass if agents are now going to blackball you because you didn't want to keep your nose to the grindstone.

Having said that, in last year's recession I did get agents saying "you haven't worked since February?" with that tone combining incredulity with suspicion, and the feeling that they would be obliged to drop me if I were behaving suspiciously, like not working.

PS I see one little word got past the sweary nanny, perhaps because it was so shocked by what I said before?
        Last edited by expat; 26 April 2010, 20:11.

Comment

I would certainly consider having an 'excuse' ready but alternatively, just keep working until whatever skills and experience you currently have become worthless (pretty much guaranteed) and a year long gap is the result.
          HTH

Comment

I often take 6 months off by choice, nobody every asks me about it.

Comment

Working...
            X