• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dell 3year protection on purchase Laptops- Is it a capital or P&L Expenditure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 3year protection on purchase Laptops- Is it a capital or P&L Expenditure

I am planing on buying a Laptop from dell with 3year on-site protection. I dont think dell does 2 sepearte invoices

In My accounting, can I split the cost of the laptop into capital expenditure and P&L expense for the protection part of the purchase or It has to hit the books in whole as a capital expense

Cheers

css_jay99

>can I split the cost of the laptop into capital expenditure and P&L expense for the protection part of the purchase

That's what I would do.

ZED.

Comment

Split it - most definitely.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Doh!!

Pretty sure mine went through as one entity in the accounts when I got mine in Nov 2007, and is therefore all being written off over 4 years I think.

Oh well, live and learn.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

You'll get the full tax relief on the whole lot if you capitalise it in year anyway.

For correctness, it should be split. If you do split it, your accountant should spread the cost of your 3 year protection over 3 years (prepayments) in the accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            Doh!!

Pretty sure mine went through as one entity in the accounts when I got mine in Nov 2007, and is therefore all being written off over 4 years I think.

Oh well, live and learn.
            For tax purposes it probably doesn't matter. The laptop and any associated costs would have been written off under capital allowances in the first year anyway, regardless of how fast the asset is written off in the accounts.
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by *Clare* View Post
              For tax purposes it probably doesn't matter. The laptop and any associated costs would have been written off under capital allowances in the first year anyway, regardless of how fast the asset is written off in the accounts.
              Hold a sec. Am I missing something?
              How can you get a first year allowance of 100% ?

See below from hmrc
              First-Year Allowances
              In certain circumstances, you can also claim First-Year Allowances of 100 per cent in the year your company or organisation makes the purchase of certain plant or machinery. This means you can deduct the whole purchase cost of the asset from your company or organisation’s trading profit in the accounting period when it was purchased. Examples of expenditure that may qualify for 100 per cent

First-Year Allowances include:

low carbon dioxide emission cars
              energy-saving plant and machinery
              environmentally beneficial plant and machinery
              equipment for refuelling vehicles with natural gas, biogas or hydrogen fuel
              North Sea oil ring-fence plant and machinery and mineral extraction.
              In addition to the 100 per cent First-Year Allowances, there is a new temporary 40 per cent First-year Allowance for expenditure on most plant or machinery (other than cars) incurred in the year 2009-2010, that is, between 1 April 2009 and 31 March 2010, in the case of companies.

css_jay99
              Last edited by css_jay99; 27 April 2010, 11:54.

Comment

It's possible to write off the value of an asset pool under £1,000 - so even if an asset is still in the accounts it should have been written off fully for CT purposes.

Comment

futher diging show on hmrc show that i can still do a 100% FYA , doh!.

So This means that :-
                  1) I can claim 100% FYA on computer and mobile phone ?
                  2) Depreciation of for 4 year straight line method for computer

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                    futher diging show on hmrc show that i can still do a 100% FYA , doh!.

So This means that :-
                    1) I can claim 100% FYA on computer and mobile phone ?
                    2) Depreciation of for 4 year straight line method for computer

css_jay99
                    There's now an Annual Investment Allowance of £100k - meaning you can write off assets up to that value 100% in the first year. How you choose to depreciate it in the accounts doesn't really matter from a tax viewpoint.

Don't forget you can have a mobile phone and a blackberry with no BIK implications.

Comment

Working...
                    X