• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If I could turn back time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I could turn back time

I stumbled into IT after being seconded onto a software development project as a tester for a new reservations system for our department.

However, with hindsight, I wish I'd mapped out a career path whilst studying.

If I had my time again, I think I would like to be an architect - and no, not the bastardised IT version!

If you could go back in time and re-start your working career, would you still choose IT?

If not, what would you do instead?

I'd have studied languages and linguistics. But at the time, I was such a tech-head that IT was the only possibility.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Astronomer. Choose Mathematics over Astronomy at uni cos i thought it had better job prospects. Graduated into recession anyway. Still look into space a lot though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
        Astronomer. Choose Mathematics over Astronomy at uni cos i thought it had better job prospects. Graduated into recession anyway. Still look into space a lot though.
        Geologist. Astronomy sounds good too, but I’m a bit too dim to be any more than an interested amateur.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I would have left school at 16 and become really rather good at racing sailing boats.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            I stumbled into IT after being seconded onto a software development project as a tester for a new reservations system for our department.

If I had my time again, I think I would like to be an architect - and no, not the bastardised IT version!

If you could go back in time and re-start your working career, would you still choose IT?

No way.

About this time in my life I'd probably be regretting whatever choice I made (or stumbled into). I thought for most of my working life that IT was quite a good option, for somebody who was quite clever and didn't really want a "career". It let me move around a bit, and take time off for travelling. And it seemed to pay well.

Now I'm not so sure that the lifetime view still looks like that. Not compared to what I might have done.

PS I'd guess that this question will get more answers from the discontented than from those who are happy in what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

I thought I would like to be an architect, but I would have to deal with clients with no taste.
              Now I deal with clients with no clue.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

If I could turn back time...

...I'd have taken the blue pill...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  ...I'd have taken the blue pill...
                  I'd have shot the Wachowski brothers before they could make Revolutions.....
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I studied biological sciences up to and including post grad.

I too graduated into the 90's recession and no-one wanted to employ me. So I went for an MSc in computing.

I might have stuck to my guns and remained in science.

However, a cautionary tale. One of my old uni friends got in touch years after graduation. He had persued the dream and was working as a researcher for the forestry commission. I was so jealous.

He burst the bubble. He felt his job was horrible, very little money, no prospects of progression and he was bitten by midgies all summer and rained on for the other 360 days.

So maybe the grass isn't always greener
                    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X