• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike

Some scrote has stolen my Claud Butler Xanthos - it was a full suspension MTB - cheap and heavyish but not a bad bike. I reckon the replacement should be a hybrid - I didn't need full suspension at all; I do ride off road, but not down moutains over massive rocks at 100mph.

No way am I spending more than 300 quid and I need a big frame because I am big.

Anyone got any recomendations?

My local auction always seem to have a big selection of bikes going cheap (I bought a racer for £14). I ride an old bike that isn't worth nicking, but even so, it's probably about 90% as efficient as much more expensive and sought after road bikes.

Comment

I went for a Trek hybrid purely because they did a larger frame.
      I think it was a 25 inch frame but can't be sure, and cost about 250 squids.

Best bike I've had, really lightweight. Only downside is that it's got quite thin tyres, excellent for on-road which I mainly do, but not so good off road if the track is on the bumpy side.

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
        I went for a Trek hybrid purely because they did a larger frame.
        I think it was a 25 inch frame but can't be sure, and cost about 250 squids.

Best bike I've had, really lightweight. Only downside is that it's got quite thin tyres, excellent for on-road which I mainly do, but not so good off road if the track is on the bumpy side.
        Oi Bellymonster, how tall are you? I'm contemplating getting a bike but don't want to ride down the street looking like I've nicked some kids Grifter.

Comment

If you live in London, get down the Brick Lane bike market. You'll probably find your old bike there and can buy it back.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            If you live in London, get down the Brick Lane bike market. You'll probably find your old bike there and can buy it back.
            Oi Threaded, what size frame do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Oi Threaded, what size frame do you use?
              It doesn't work that way anymore, what with this 'compact geometry' fashion, etc..

Anyways the last frame I bought I made to order.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                Some scrote has stolen my Claud Butler Xanthos - it was a full suspension MTB - cheap and heavyish but not a bad bike. I reckon the replacement should be a hybrid - I didn't need full suspension at all; I do ride off road, but not down moutains over massive rocks at 100mph.

No way am I spending more than 300 quid and I need a big frame because I am big.

Anyone got any recomendations?

There are many stolen bicycles in Holland. If you need a bicycle you just stand near traffic lights and when it’s red you shout, “Ay, that’s my bicycle.” …and then half a dozen riders run and abandon their bikes.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

What is the country coming to when even bicycles are not safe anymore.

I heard Gordon say he has poured billions into police services and tackled crime by the scruff of its neck. Don't tell me he was wrong, he never lies.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

A second vote for Trek Hybrids. My local bike shop sold me a Trek 7.3 for £350 (£450 in Evans etc) but a friend just bought a Trek 7.1 for less. I do over 100 miles per week commuting on mine.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X