• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SNP vs BBC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNP vs BBC

The SNP lost their case against the BBC to get time on a debate. I suppose they had to.

But outside of tub-thumping for either side, does it not raise a serious point? The BBC has simply failed to take account of the changed constitutional position in the UK. They haven't merely done it other than I would have liked, they haven't tried at all.

Whether you like it or not, the SNP is the Scottidsh Government, and they are standing in all the Westminster seats in Scotland. Plainly, in one part of the UK they are not a minor party.

I don't know what the answer is. Frankly It'd be laughable if they got parity with the other main parties over the whole of the UK. But it's stupid verging on unconstitutional to have them ignored in Scotland as if they were the MRLP.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    The SNP lost their case against the BBC to get time on a debate. I suppose they had to.

But outside of tub-thumping for either side, does it not raise a serious point? The BBC has simply failed to take account of the changed constitutional position in the UK. They haven't merely done it other than I would have liked, they haven't tried at all.

Whether you like it or not, the SNP is the Scottidsh Government, and they are standing in all the Westminster seats in Scotland. Plainly, in one part of the UK they are not a minor party.

I don't know what the answer is. Frankly It'd be laughable if they got parity with the other main parties over the whole of the UK. But it's stupid verging on unconstitutional to have them ignored in Scotland as if they were the MRLP.
    Whats a joke is, that the SNP didnt challenge Sky or ITV. They went for the BBC and hence wasted licence payers money(our money) in making the BBC defend it. UKIP have more candidates running!!!!

Its ******* typical of the Scottish to waste English money.

Alex Salmond = Knob Jockey
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

My thoughts on the matter led me to the opinion that if you wanted to be in the debates then you should have a candidate in every seat in the UK.

I think the SNP should have seen that.

Comment

And salmond would have ripped the other 3 a new one, he may be a bit of a fanny but he is easily the best debator in the commons at the monent.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          My thoughts on the matter led me to the opinion that if you wanted to be in the debates then you should have a candidate in every seat in the UK.
          My thoughts exactly.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

There was some statement from the BBC about the amount of air time given to less parties. If they had included more than the top three their own impartiality codes meant they would have also had to give air time to the BNP.

By cutting this and including only what they did they may have short changed SNP and other smaller parties but kept BNP of the screen.

SNP are indeed not a minor party but are small enough to fall foul of the screen time divvying up.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              SNP are indeed not a minor party but are small enough to fall foul of the screen time divvying up.
              Of course they are a minor party in UK terms. That's why they simply could not be given equal time with the 3 major UK parties, that would be ridicuous. But the problem is that simply to treat them as a minor party and no more, the same as say the BNP, because of their representation or vote over the whole of the UK, is equally unsatisfactory, because it fails to take any account of the fact that this is no longer a unitary state. Oh, it's no problem in England if the SNP are just ignored, but it is a legitimate problem in Scotland. You English people here may have no responsibility whatever to Scotland, but the BBC does.

It's a conundrum. I dont have the answer, but I criticise the BBC for not recognising that there is a question.

As I have said before, old-fashioned Union is no longer an option. The choices are devolution or independence. Ignoring the SNP as if they didn't matter, when they are actually the government in Scotland, is a vote for independence.

Comment

Working...
              X