• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wasp Killer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasp Killer

Can anyone recommend a quick and simple wasp killer/prevention method.

Looks like Ive got wasps building a nest in the eaves of the porch. Lots going in and out under the tiles, so just thinking of popping up and spraying it, powdering it before they finished? Need to go to the garden centre in a mo.

Any recommendations?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Went up to insulate the loft in my new house a few months back and there is a nest the size of a football up there. Wasn't active at the time, but will look to get it removed along with a number of smaller incomplete ones.

Will watch this thread with interest.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Yes, you need to do it late when the sun has gone down anf they have all returned to the nest. They do get very very very angry if they make it out of the nest, so use that foam stuff with an extension tube so you dont get too close when you spray.
      The Organophosphates that are in those sprays are nasty stuff.
      Oh and did I say the wasps will get very very angry as they crawl out.

They dont return to old nests to avoid parasites that build up during the year, so a dormant one can be safely ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Any recommendations?
        Yep, Bath.

Wasps 19 - 35
        (9 - 18) Bath
        Tries:
        Jacobs Tries:
        Maddock 3, Barkley
        Penalties:
        Cipriani 4 Penalties:
        Barkley 3

Conversions:
        Walder Conversions:
        Barkley 3
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

If they sting you, can you provide a pain rating on the Schmidt Sting Pain Index please. It should be about 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Babbage View Post
            Yes, you need to do it late when the sun has gone down anf they have all returned to the nest. They do get very very very angry if they make it out of the nest, so use that foam stuff with an extension tube so you dont get too close when you spray.
            The Organophosphates that are in those sprays are nasty stuff.
            Oh and did I say the wasps will get very very angry as they crawl out.

They dont return to old nests to avoid parasites that build up during the year, so a dormant one can be safely ignored.
            Cant I just stand on a ladder with a spray and then just mullah each one on the way out!?!?

Comment

Cant I just stand on a ladder with a spray and then just mullah each one on the way out!?!?
              JIHAD!!!!!!

Curse you infidel!!!

Ooops, wrong login!

Comment

Good luck with that, there might be a thousand or more, and you have to kill the queen and grubs too. Dont forget about the bit where they get very very angry, you need to flood the opening with so much foam that they cant get out before the rest of the foam hasd made its way to the middle.

Mind you my dad had a wasp nest taken out of a tree a while ago and the pest man who came told him the largest nest he ever found was too big to fit into the back of his van in one go...

Comment

Actually they look more like this. I think they might be honey bees, anyway they're increasing in volume above my porch.

I'm going up with some hairspray and a lighter I may be some time!

Comment

I'm going up with some hairspray and a lighter I may be some time!
                    I think that only works on Bond villains.

Comment

Working...
                    X