• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regressive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regressive

Are bombarding me with jobs at the moment.

Latest came from Berlin in German.

Which is unfortunate, since I don't speak German.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Are bombarding me with jobs at the moment.

Latest came from Berlin in German.

Which is unfortunate, since I don't speak German.
    I’ve had several very friendly approaches from Progressive, none of which have led to interviews but all of which have ended in ‘who can I phone at <clientco> to get a reference for your skills?’
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I know someone in Berlin working through Progressive. He seemed surprised when I told him they were well known for being tulip. Needless to say he's had bother with them and it's harder to chase them when you're in another country.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder why a German bloke has ended up working in Berlin through their UK office then. Seems a little pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          Hmm, I wonder why a German bloke has ended up working in Berlin through their UK office then. Seems a little pointless.
          I can offer a reason...VAT

If one works in Germany through a German agency, you have to charge the VAT up front, this goes through all the channels and eventually the agency can claim it back.

But if one works in Germany through a UK agency you don't have to charge the VAT up front, and they don't have to claim it back.

Hence lower capital exposure. Much cheapness with plenty quickness.

(I'll forgive you for not knowing this, there aren't that many contractors on this board any more)

Incidentally the rule was brought in to try and stem carousel fraud.

There are other reasons too, but this is the biggy.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            It was ever thus.

Ich bin ein Berliner.
            Last edited by Paddy; 29 April 2010, 09:35.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
            X