• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie just got sacked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie just got sacked

Sent home with one month’s pay. Was promoted a month ago, is now dumped for ‘not performing’ in a job he’d never done before. Poor fellow; nice guy and v. intelligent. Have given him a business card and advised him to go freelance; no more emotions or bulltulip, just monthly invoices. NL market’s picking up too. Will call him again at weekend.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Harsh.

That'll be the "job security" I keep hearing the permies here talk about.
    Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I suppose its better than jumping off the building

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        I suppose its better than jumping off the building
        Well, he was doing a fair job of pretending to be cheerful, but you could see his lip trembling a bit as he talked. They did the goodbye stuff, you know, the hypocritical ‘thanks for all you’ve done’ bulltulip then he came and told me. I just said ‘**** that for a game of soldiers; go freelance, send a monthly invoice and stop giving a tulip’. That seemed to cheer him up more than any of the permie hugs and permie thanks and permie drinks and other permie bull.

Comment

In addition to going contracting, of course, if he's been there for more than 1 year, he should immediately start a claim for unfair dismissal. It's quite difficult for companies to avoid having to pay out.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I always love the old 'We just sacked you but lets be friends' load of bollocks

How about we don't be friends and if you cross my path again I will rip out your windpipe you bunch of backstabbing cowardly **** wits.

There is no love or loyalty in business those that tell you different are simply lying to themselves!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              I always love the old 'We just sacked you but lets be friends' load of bollocks

How about we don't be friends and if you cross my path again I will rip out your windpipe you bunch of backstabbing cowardly **** wits.

There is no love or loyalty in business those that tell you different are simply lying to themselves!
              This is where contracting changes the equation. The permies get emotionally attached to work and colleagues, and are easily manipulated with the fear of losing their job. As a contractor I don’t care if you want to insult me, treat me like a doggydoo or talk down to me. Just bear in mind that all the time you choose to spend doing that, I charge a pound a minute to ignore you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Sent home with one month’s pay. Was promoted a month ago, is now dumped for ‘not performing’ in a job he’d never done before. Poor fellow; nice guy and v. intelligent. Have given him a business card and advised him to go freelance; no more emotions or bulltulip, just monthly invoices. NL market’s picking up too. Will call him again at weekend.
                Erm.. I am almost certain you cannot be sacked for 'not performing' in a job and especially within a month so would question the validity of your story. For a permie to be sacked for doing a bad job they have to go through performance appraisals and whole raft of process for the company to be able to sack them without reprisal for unfair dismissal.

If they promoted him and then sacked him in a month I would be laughing by bloody tits off as I drive round to me solicitor to start proceedings against them.

Sorry but there is a definate smell of bulltulip round here. You bored today?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Erm.. I am almost certain you cannot be sacked for 'not performing' in a job and especially within a month so would question the validity of your story. For a permie to be sacked for doing a bad job they have to go through performance appraisals and whole raft of process for the company to be able to sack them without reprisal for unfair dismissal.

If they promoted him and then sacked him in a month I would be laughing by bloody tits off as I drive round to me solicitor to start proceedings against them.

Sorry but there is a definate smell of bulltulip round here. You bored today?
                  You obviously don’t know Dutch employment practise. Permies start here on contracts of one year at a time before getting the permie contract; he was told with one month to run until renewal that he’s out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    You obviously don’t know Dutch employment practise. Permies start here on contracts of one year at a time before getting the permie contract; he was told with one month to run until renewal that he’s out.
                    Ouch!!! LOL well thats a totally different kettle of fish then. Is that the same as these perm contracts some companies are using here nowadays?

Still... surely they can be held responsible to some extent surely? He could throw a fit and try for some form of compensation. The company had a responsibility to make sure he was capable before giving him the job surely?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X