• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Floppy disks and BBC responses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floppy disks and BBC responses

Was just reading this article and looking at what people use them for....

Floppy Disk Article on BBC Site

Now is it me or has number 11 inadvertently just ruined their own plan B in a Ratners style gaffee or is it worth a try??

11. I buy these little beauties for a quite different reason. The floppy disk costs an average of £3.66 for 200, however they have a resale value of £5.50 at any good computer recycling centre, so I buy them in bulk and simply sell them directly at a profit. Take that, Bill Gates.
    Cynthia, Tamworth

Surely if you are on a little winner like this the last thing any sensible person would do is post it on the BBC website???

Anyone else got any little tidy Plan B or C's they wish to share???
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Not really. Ratner called his stuff "crap" but Cynthia has called hers "little beauties".
    And it's no secret that buying in bulk and selling on yields a profit. I think few of her customers will now be buying their disks in batches of 200 for £732 the lot. When I want gas I pay over the odds to have it piped in. I don't go out to the North Sea in scuba gear and fill a few bin bags.

And there's a difference in the degree of exposure between saying something in a filmed speech in front of loads of people and being number 11 in some web page comments.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      And there's a difference in the degree of exposure between saying something in a filmed speech in front of loads of people and being number 11 in some web page comments.
      Now you're just being bigotted
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Well I do sometimes think we ought to have the option of paying £250 a year for a "premium Internet", where everything's peer reviewed or at least professionally written. There would be a version of Wikipedia where the entry on Pikachu is shorter than the entry on Croce. There would sometimes be "Have Your Say" comments, but they would appear in order of eminence, with OM holders at the top.

Comment

Well I do sometimes think we ought to have the option of paying £250 a year for a "premium Internet", where everything's peer reviewed or at least professionally written. There would be a version of Wikipedia where the entry on Pikachu is shorter than the entry on Croce. There would sometimes be "Have Your Say" comments, but they would appear in order of eminence, with OM holders at the top.
          The problem with that idea can be summed up by the Peer Review that happened with AGW. It'll be just as bad, but way more difficult to spot the bad bits.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Well I do sometimes think we ought to have the option of paying £250 a year for a "premium Internet", where everything's peer reviewed
            You rang?

Invoice in the mail server

Comment

To be honest, for a £1.84 profit per 200 disks I'm not sure I could be bothered stealing her idea. You'd need to be dealing in millions of disks to make it worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
              X