• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you had to ditch one of your mates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you had to ditch one of your mates?

As you may have read, I got really miffed last night as one facebook 'friend' insisted on attacking me and texting me aggressively because I had dismissed Nick Clegg's performance in the leaders debate last night, awarding him 3rd prize.

This friend is someone I've known since university days and meet up with maybe 3 or 4 times a year at most as he now lives away.

I have already ditched one university friend who became similarly obnoxious, sending arsy emails and texts from a distance as he disapproved of conservative political-religious opinions that I'm quite entitled to hold.

Basically, I feel that I am increasingly unable to describe people who hold completely diametrically opposed views, and don't respect my opinion or that the reasons behind them are valid, as friends.

I resent being patronised by such people about my views almost like they don't think I have thought anything through.

I certainly don't spend my time on facebook, emails etc. trying to convince them of my views and don't really give a rats that they don't agree with mine.

Increasingly it appears I meet up with these people only for the random chance that I had the fortune/misfortune(?) of getting drunk with them in uni when they were far more open-minded and easy going people.

Also I suspect there is jealousy at play since I have acquired a fast car and a nice flat whilst they have neither. And this friend, just like the previous 'friend' that I ditched, make instant disapproving comments of any attractive woman that I've started seeing (despite the fact they go out with dogs).

Usually I find that friendships just kinda naturally drift apart naturally, but it's annoying when these people still want to be your friend but spend most of their time on facebook or whatever trying to brainwash you into their bull*** left-wing atheistic nonsense, or make negative remarks about any woman I date, and believe me they look better than their dogs.

Why can't they just accept me for who I am? It's approaching the time when I tell them to eff off and find some communist friends.
    Last edited by contractor79; 30 April 2010, 09:53.

Having read your post, I'm surprised you've got any friends. Lighten up pal.

Comment

Erm, thanks for that.

Comment

Delete them from your facebook and stop replying to texts. Move on. These 'friends' are being kn0bs and not acting as friends should.

(A year or so a go, a few old friends from work and school started trying to get in touch with everyone they knew at school/uni/work. It made me realise that times change and I don't want these people as friends again, having not seen most of them for 10-20 years)

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
          I have already ditched one university friend who became similarly obnoxious, sending arsy emails and texts from a distance as he disapproved of conservative political-religious opinions that I'm quite entitled to hold.

Basically, I feel that I am increasingly unable to describe people who hold completely diametrically opposed views, and don't respect my opinion or that the reasons behind them are valid, as friends.

I resent being patronised by such people about my views almost like they don't think I have thought anything through.
          Ahhhhh! Has the iggle wiggle little man got all upset cause someone patronised him, ahhhh, iggle wiggle bedwetter does'nt like being told his views don't matter, ahhhh, boo hoo, boo hoo, my friends don't like me. Ahhh. Cuggle, wuggle, little man. Ahhh.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Delete them from your facebook and stop replying to texts. Move on. These 'friends' are being kn0bs and not acting as friends should.

(A year or so a go, a few old friends from work and school started trying to get in touch with everyone they knew at school/uni/work. It made me realise that times change and I don't want these people as friends again, having not seen most of them for 10-20 years)
            thanks, glad someone knows what I mean here

As I said, I've only ever once ditched someone who used to be my 'friend', had to block his mobile, email etc. as I was getting abusive messages in the end as I wasn't replying.

Funnily enough, when I think back, he went awol and jealous after I finally revealed to him what my daily rate was. Not straight away but the abuse and personal attacks, arsy comments etc. surely followed.

Comment

That's right, adding someone to facebook automatically makes them your 'friend' nowadays
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also I suspect there is jealousy at play since I have acquired a fast car and a nice flat whilst they have neither. And this friend, just like the previous 'friend' that I ditched, make instant disapproving comments of any attractive woman that I've started seeing (despite the fact they go out with dogs).
                Jealousy is terrible. Boy have I been on the receiving end of that. Just look at the grief I get from certain people on this site: they look me up on the web, my homes on Google maps, do virtual drive bys, discover they're working for one of my Plan Bs and get all arsey. Yet instead of getting off their bum and working as hard, they make snide comments.

So I pray for them, and post occasional videos on YouTube :-)

Just remember if your life goes tits-up you'll have made them happy. And increasing the happiness in the world is a good thing is it not?
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Life is too short to waste time being friends with nobbers. I've ditched a couple of old 'friends' because, in the end, I realised they were a waste of space.

Move on and forget.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Increasingly it appears i meet up with these people only for the random chance that i had the fortune/misfortune(?) of getting drunk with them in uni when i was far more open-minded and easy going .

Also i suspect there is derision at play since i have acquired a fast car and a nice flat and think that makes me a better person...
                    Why can't i just accept them for who they are?
                    ftfy

Comment

Working...
                    X