• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Assimilating a Foreign Language

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assimilating a Foreign Language

I think it's finally happened to me, after three years here the language spoken here is finally starting to make sense. For the first time I asked for a 'Breadcake' in the Chippy today without translating it from 'Barmcake' in my head first. Result!

Thank God for the Boltonian to Leodensian translator app on iPhone, iByGum by Ecky Thump Software.

Originally posted by stek View Post
    I think it's finally happened to me, after three years here the language spoken here is finally starting to make sense. For the first time I asked for a 'Breadcake' in the Chippy today without translating it from 'Barmcake' in my head first. Result!

Thank God for the Boltonian to Leodensian translator app on iPhone, iByGum by Ecky Thump Software.

Muffin (of the oven bottom variety)!

Comment

Fookin Immigrants
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Fookin Immigrants

Bloody foreigners!

Comment

Best one was years ago when a young lady friend went into a Bakery in Doncaster Market and asked if she could have a 'Cob', there were looks of puzzlement all round and then someone kindly pointed her in the direction of the Cattle Market, but not today, only Tuesdays, but doubt there'll be any as the Pits have all closed.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            Best one was years ago when a young lady friend went into a Bakery in Doncaster Market and asked if she could have a 'Cob', there were looks of puzzlement all round and then someone kindly pointed her in the direction of the Cattle Market, but not today, only Tuesdays, but doubt there'll be any as the Pits have all closed.
            I once asked for some Swedish Polar Bread in a bakery in Heanor, Derbys. The woman said;

"This is Heanor, Love; we've got bread and dripping...."

Comment

Ok WTF is Breadcake / Barmcake?
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                Art thi' frumt Sarth or summert then lass?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Art thi' frumt Sarth or summert then lass?
                  Of course my dear chap, it is the centre of the Universe after all
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    I believe "Barmcake" is something that excites Mancunians. But in essence it is a kind of roll/cob/bun/butty etc. if memory serves.
                    Once asked for a bacon roll in Salford. The girl asked "Would you like that in a Bomb??"
                    Turns out she was saying "Barm". Fortunately I was not in the market for either explosive or incendiary sustenance, so I went along with her suggestion.
                    Northerners eh? How very quaint!
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X