• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is 4 1/2 pints too much for a leaving lunchtime drink?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 4 1/2 pints too much for a leaving lunchtime drink?

Been really careful trying to not burn any bridges on my last day, but everybody wanted to buy me a pint (Deuchars IPA...hmm) at the pub.

It has been noted by a few unpleasant individuals in the premises that I quiffed a substantial amount of ale at lunch, but in you humbles opinions, it 4 1/2 pints too much for 1hr at the pub as a 'goodbye' from fellow contractor colleagues?

That's OK on your last day - expected, at lots of places.
    Even if the official government definition of "binge drinking" is 4 pints.

Comment

Originally posted by adamv6 View Post
      Been really careful trying to not burn any bridges on my last day, but everybody wanted to buy me a pint (Deuchars IPA...hmm) at the pub.

It has been noted by a few unpleasant individuals in the premises that I quiffed a substantial amount of ale at lunch, but in you humbles opinions, it 4 1/2 pints too much for 1hr at the pub as a 'goodbye' from fellow contractor colleagues?
      Well I believe it is enough to get you kicked off site for H&S reasons and is most definately a dimissable offence if you still had a contract or were permie. It will have certainly destroyed any reputation you may have had and quite likely got you on a black list of contractors if they had one as you are putting the company at risk if you **** anything up while drunk.

If you went back to work after that you deserve everything you get I am afraid.

Pretty stupid thing to do regardless of circumstances.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Northernladuk, go forth and multiple.

Thunderlizard, I concur. It was rude to not accept, seeing as most of the drinks came from Project Managers

Comment

Northernladuk, go forth and multiple.

Thunderlizard, I concur. It was rude to not accept, seeing as most of the drinks came from Project Managers
          Why should I? You asked a stupid question about being on a client site when drunk. What do you think I am going to say. Yeah sure, it is fine to be on a company premises drunk go for it, the company won't mind if you fall down the stairs, hurt yourself or worse others... Good move.

Comment

Who mentioned drunk?

You 'assumed' drunk, I am more than compos mentis and in full control of my body functions.

Comment

Who mentioned drunk?

You 'assumed' drunk, I am more than compos mentis and in full control of my body functions.
              <gritted teeth> Northernloudmouth is right.... 4 1/2 pints - You are drunk!! No ifs no buts You are drunk! and shouldn't be on Client site.</gritted teeth>

On the other hand 4 1/2 pints for a leaving do and pish off home... or go for some food and meet the lads after for a few more... I would say is probably not exceptional..... but thats not what you asked.

Comment

Who mentioned drunk?

The fact that you are posting this drivel is perfect evidence that you are not. 4.5 pints is MORE than enough to get you in the tulip at work. Common sense dictates that, unfortunately after 4.5 pints common sense is one of the things to go first..... as you can see.....

Oh and from the HSE website

The legal position
                You have a general duty under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 to ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of your employees. If you knowingly allow an employee under the influence of excess alcohol to continue working and this places the employee or others at risk, you could be prosecuted. Similarly, your employees are also required to take reasonable care of themselves and others who could be affected by what they do. In the transport industry, there is additional legislation in place to control the misuse of alcohol and drugs. The Transport and Works Act 1992 makes it a criminal offence for certain workers to be unfit through drink and/or drugs while working on railways, tramways and other guided transport systems. The operators of the transport system would also be guilty of an offence unless they had shown all due diligence in trying to prevent such an offence being committed.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  The fact that you are posting this drivel is perfect evidence that you are not. 4.5 pints is MORE than enough to get you in the tulip at work. Common sense dictates that, unfortunately after 4.5 pints common sense is one of the things to go first..... as you can see.....

Oh and from the HSE website

The legal position
                  You have a general duty under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 to ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of your employees. If you knowingly allow an employee under the influence of excess alcohol to continue working and this places the employee or others at risk, you could be prosecuted. Similarly, your employees are also required to take reasonable care of themselves and others who could be affected by what they do. In the transport industry, there is additional legislation in place to control the misuse of alcohol and drugs. The Transport and Works Act 1992 makes it a criminal offence for certain workers to be unfit through drink and/or drugs while working on railways, tramways and other guided transport systems. The operators of the transport system would also be guilty of an offence unless they had shown all due diligence in trying to prevent such an offence being committed.
                  and here endeth lesson 1 of 'Trolling for Beginners'
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I had two pints. Does that get me half sacked?
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X