• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unilateral Bank Levy.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unilateral Bank Levy.

This is potentially the most disastrous policy proposed by any political party. Amazingly enough it's the Conservative Party who are proposing this. Have we all gone mad?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    This is potentially the most disastrous policy proposed by any political party.
    Why?

In some countries the population actually likes being relatively poor but stress-free and happy. The British could quite like it.

Comment

This is potentially the most disastrous policy proposed by any political party. Amazingly enough it's the Conservative Party who are proposing this. Have we all gone mad?
      I believe Labour/Lib Dems are doing this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
        I believe Labour/Lib Dems are doing this as well.
        Apparently not, from all the news stories and political debates. Labour (wonder of wonders!!!) actually have the most sensible policy, and will only introduce this levy if it's agreed internationally - so banks won't take their business elsewhere for this reason. The Lib Dems too don't have this policy, but they do intend to ban "bonuses" which I fear will be nearly as bad as the unilateral levy policy.
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Apparently not, from all the news stories and political debates. Labour (wonder of wonders!!!) actually have the most sensible policy, and will only introduce this levy if it's agreed internationally - so banks won't take their business elsewhere for this reason. The Lib Dems too don't have this policy, but they do intend to ban "bonuses" which I fear will be nearly as bad as the unilateral levy policy.
          I heard Brown talk about introducing a bank levy if it's agreed internationally. It was obvious that he was using this as an excuse not to introduce it. Brown is copping out of this one for his own self interest. Prime ministers do not receive bribes directly; they get their pay-off when then retire just like Blair. Once Brown goes; you will see him sitting one day a month on some bank board for a large fee.

It is brave of any party if they bring in a levy because in reality it’s the banks that control the country, not the government.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Have they said how much it will be? If not, the policy could be quite crafty, and actually beneficial to the banks: Crafty because all the chippy proles who blame solely the banks for the crisis will approve, and beneficial (relatively) if it is smaller than levies other countries impose on their banks. (Maybe the Tories have already had a quiet word with the banks to reassure them about this.)
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              I heard Brown talk about introducing a bank levy if it's agreed internationally. It was obvious that he was using this as an excuse not to introduce it. Brown is copping out of this one for his own self interest. Prime ministers do not receive bribes directly; they get their pay-off when then retire just like Blair. Once Brown goes; you will see him sitting one day a month on some bank board for a large fee.

It is brave of any party if they bring in a levy because in reality it’s the banks that control the country, not the government.
              I was shocked to hear that Blair has squirreled away at least £20 million and possibly as much as £50 million.

I can't see Gordo being quite as commercial, but then I was suprised to hear him call a concerned life long labour supporter a biggot.
              I thought Gordo at least had some integrity till then.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

It is incredibly stupid of any party if they bring in a levy because in reality it’s the banks that control the country, not the government.
                FTFY

They certainly need more regulation and/or control. If the Tories had stuck to their other policy of reverting control to the BoE then fine, but the unilateral levy is so obviously the wrong thing to do, I'm surprised Ken Clark hasn't taken George and Dave to one side and pointed this out.

Comment

I really don't get all this. Banks are taxed like other businesses already. If they are finding ways around it fix the system... how do you introduce a special tax on certain types of company, and how do you define which companies are included?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

State aid anyone?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X