• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hung parliament question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hung parliament question

Is it always the party with the most seats who gets to pick a coalition partner? Or can two other parties announce coalition and gain power even if neither got the most seats?

e.g say Labour get 280, Tory 255, LibDem 80. Does it rest on Labour to find a partner to get the extra 50-odd seats? Or would Tory/LibDem be allowed to combine and take power (if they wanted to)?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is it always the party with the most seats who gets to pick a coalition partner? Or can two other parties announce coalition and gain power even if neither got the most seats?

e.g say Labour get 280, Tory 255, LibDem 80. Does it rest on Labour to find a partner to get the extra 50-odd seats? Or would Tory/LibDem be allowed to combine and take power (if they wanted to)?
    Of course any parties can band together to form a coalition. It doesn't matter who get the most seats.

I don't believe a Labour - Conservative coalition will work and the Liberals are a little to the left of Labour so
    a Conservative - Liberal coalition also as unlikely.

That leaves Labour -Liberal coalition as the most likely, but these coalitions usually have plenty of bickering and infighting.
    I mean the parties are trying to score points off each other with an eye to the next election.

It is so uncertain that a coalition is possible that we could in theroy in a short term be heading for another general election with
    the parties asking for a workable majority.

It could be a nervous time for sterling....

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
      That leaves Labour -Liberal coalition as the most likely
      Why do you think it's likely? Con-Libs run Birmingham in coalition, they did it way before Labour was as bad looking as they are now - many of new people who'd vote Libs are those who were voting Labour but won't vote Tory, so making coalition with Labour is pretty much impossible anyway politically.

Cameron would be smart to make coalition with Libs even if he gets few MPs over the limit because he needs strong Govt and he needs to ditch his light weight pal Osborne: coalition with Lib Dems gives him nice face saving opportunity to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Why do you think it's likely? Con-Libs run Birmingham in coalition, they did it way before Labour was as bad looking as they are now - many of new people who'd vote Libs are those who were voting Labour but won't vote Tory, so making coalition with Labour is pretty much impossible anyway politically.

Cameron would be smart to make coalition with Libs even if he gets few MPs over the limit because he needs strong Govt and he needs to ditch his light weight pal Osborne: coalition with Lib Dems gives him nice face saving opportunity to do so.
        Local politics is generaly different to national politics.
        Local politics is generaly about local issues so council politics is not relevent.

Lib - Lab politicians are interchangable ie David Owen, Shirly Williams and a host of Labour
        politicians crossed to Labour via the SDP in the 70's. Recently Liberal politicians
        like Lord Adonis have crossed from the Liberals to Labour.

Labour to/from Conservative or Conservative to/from Liberal crossings ar not unknown,
        but are much less common.

Labour and the Liberals are centre left parties and they are pretty close on policey.

The Labour - Liberals had alliances in the 1920's and the 1970's, both were
        acrimonious and saw the partners scoring points off each other.

In the first term of this LAbour government at least one Liberal politicans held a ministeral post
        such as Ming Cambell.

Lib - Lab are the natural partners, but even they can't make a hung parliament work very well.
        Last edited by Green Mango; 1 May 2010, 10:32.

Comment

Hung parliament

Good idea

sorry had to!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Good idea

sorry had to!
            Well after we've had it you may not feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
              Lib - Lab are the natural partners
              It would be natural if it was 1997 and Labour were in opposition.

There is nothing natural to form coalition Govt with total losers who just lost election - the damage to Lib dem would be so big that I can't see them doing it, I certainly won't vote for them second time (after this one) if they do a deal with Liebor.

Comment

Have a look at 1931-35
                Last edited by thunderlizard; 1 May 2010, 11:31.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Have a look at 1931-35
                  If I could choose I'd rather have a look at 1939-45...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    It would be natural if it was 1997 and Labour were in opposition.

There is nothing natural to form coalition Govt with total losers who just lost election - the damage to Lib dem would be so big that I can't see them doing it, I certainly won't vote for them second time (after this one) if they do a deal with Liebor.
                    Well the most complementary partners should form a coalition.

If Conservatives - Liberals try a coalition the difference in policey is liable to provide
                    a coalition that finds it difficult to agree policey.

Labour - Liberals should find it much easier, but there is the problem of Gordo, does he stay or does he go
                    as leader ? He may want to stay.

Comment

Working...
                    X