• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A spot of bother

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A spot of bother

SY02 lost her car keys. I now have a driveway ornament. 04 Touran, Diesal. Not cross at her at all, and she can be no more apologetic, even though I tell her to relax. Bless.

Problem is, what if the key fell into the wrong hands? I explored the possibility of sneakily removing a relay to disable the car, but the manual does not disclose what they are for. The lid of the fuse box has no helpful hints either.

So I tried removing a roadwheel. Even bouncing on the wheel brace I cannot budge the studs (19 stone), so I let a tyre down.

We only have one key (it is a bleeper one that does the immobiliser) and they are pretty dear to replace. The thing is, even if we had two keys, as one has gone missing I still feel compromised and would want to disable the car just in case.

So I am now looking at the prospect of replacing all the locks and ignition barrel.

It could have happened to me, and I would have been apologising to SY02 so I'm not cross with her, but miffed at the situation.

Flame away, as an ex bedwetter I can take it, and it may lift my spirits.

MF, over to you.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    SY02 lost her car keys. I now have a driveway ornament. 04 Touran, Diesal. Not cross at her at all, and she can be no more apologetic, even though I tell her to relax. Bless.

Problem is, what if the key fell into the wrong hands? I explored the possibility of sneakily removing a relay to disable the car, but the manual does not disclose what they are for. The lid of the fuse box has no helpful hints either.

So I tried removing a roadwheel. Even bouncing on the wheel brace I cannot budge the studs (19 stone), so I let a tyre down.

We only have one key (it is a bleeper one that does the immobiliser) and they are pretty dear to replace. The thing is, even if we had two keys, as one has gone missing I still feel compromised and would want to disable the car just in case.

So I am now looking at the prospect of replacing all the locks and ignition barrel.

It could have happened to me, and I would have been apologising to SY02 so I'm not cross with her, but miffed at the situation.

Flame away, as an ex bedwetter I can take it, and it may lift my spirits.

MF, over to you.
    Flame Dear? Who Dear? Me Dear? No Dear?

Easy solution to this SY, just ask SY2 where she left her keys, retrace her steps and go and get them!

Women hey! Can't live with 'em. Can't kill 'em and bury them under the patio.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I do the letting the tires down thing for my cars as a routine. I also have sets of chocks for them so the tires don't get ruined by the rims sitting on the walls of flat tires.

HTH
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        I do the letting the tires down thing for my cars as a routine. I also have sets of chocks for them so the tires don't get ruined by the rims sitting on the walls of flat tires.

HTH
        Immobilisers and keys are far easier.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Flame Dear? Who Dear? Me Dear? No Dear?

Easy solution to this SY, just ask SY2 where she left her keys, retrace her steps and go and get them!

Women hey! Can't live with 'em. Can't kill 'em and bury them under the patio.
          Ordering a bespoke t-shirt with these very words as we speak

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Immobilisers and keys are far easier.

HTH
            With the sort of cars I have slowing them down is the only option. In the UK I've known them turn up with sets of keys, the correct remote for the immobiliser and even spare parts for the ignition... It got to the stage where I didn't even bother locking them, as repairing locks was too much of a pain.

I'm not in the UK now, but old habits die hard.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Park the car 2 or 3 streets away from your house.
              hth
              tl

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                Park the car 2 or 3 streets away from your house.
                hth
                tl
                great idea I'll just get the keys

Comment

Why not set fire to the car and once underway call out the fire brigade.

Not only will the missus get excited at watching a bunch of hunky uniformed types turn up at the house, the kids will love the nee nahs and your neighbours will come out and support you.

You will of course, then have the opportunity to post your story on CUK and perhaps a local interest piece in the paper.

As an aside, of course, the insurance company will replace the car with a new set of keys.

Sorted.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Why not set fire to the car and once underway call out the fire brigade.

Sorted.
                    I think SY01's in Luton so there is fair chance that will happen anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X