• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euro v Pound

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro v Pound

With all this trouble in Greece can something explain why the pound is loosing ground against the euro these last few days?

Markets I'll never understand them...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    With all this trouble in Greece can something explain why the pound is loosing ground against the euro these last few days?

Markets I'll never understand them...
    Markets hate uncertainty, hung parliament = uncertainty.

Comment

Actually, EUR/GBP has been range bound for week between 0.8600 and 0.8700 after strengthen from 0.91 about a month ago. It's toward the stronger side of it's where it has been in 18 months.

However, the prospects for GBP are not that Rosy. It faces the stated danger of a hung Parliament, but also the contagion fears that UK could be facing the same prospects as Greece.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Actually, EUR/GBP has been range bound for week between 0.8600 and 0.8700 after strengthen from 0.91 about a month ago. It's toward the stronger side of it's where it has been in 18 months.

However, the prospects for GBP are not that Rosy. It faces the stated danger of a hung Parliament, but also the contagion fears that UK could be facing the same prospects as Greece.
        I must admit I've been thinking of investing this year's ISA money on the Australian ASX to get some more money out of sterling.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

Struggling to see why this should have such an impact, the UK is no where near Greece, that's what I'm led to believe, but imagine when a new government goes over the books to reveal a larger hole than was expected - that leaves a hole in my stomach about the prospects for future years.

Labour say don't risk the recovery - by lying about the truth as it is? Surely that shall only result in the danger of a double dip, i hate this....
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Struggling to see why this should have such an impact, the UK is no where near Greece, that's what I'm led to believe, but imagine when a new government goes over the books to reveal a larger hole than was expected - that leaves a hole in my stomach about the prospects for future years.

Labour say don't risk the recovery - by lying about the truth as it is? Surely that shall only result in the danger of a double dip, i hate this....
            Labour don't really understand the economy as in their anti-business stance with taxes.

Not to mention we'll be paying off their debt for a generation or two.

Remember no more Tory boom and bust.

Comment

the UK is no where near Greece
              No it's not - climate is nicer there apparently.

Comment

FFS.

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
                Labour don't really understand the economy as in their anti-business stance with taxes.

Not to mention we'll be paying off their debt for a generation or two.

Remember no more Tory boom and bust.
                Labour and their followers have no concept of reality.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

What recovery? 'danger of a double dip'? Absolute certainty of a continued downward spiral is nearer the truth. The marginal halt in the plummet is due to the election. Post election the pound is toast, IRs are up, there will be no choice, and those that have over-stretched themselves and heavily into debt are in real trouble. Negative equity for 'recent' house purchasers, unemployment up, massive cuts in public services.

Id expect riots like in greece but doubt the great unwashed have either the motivation to get up off their arses and stop watching X Factor on ice in the jungle or the capacity to understand anything to do with money.

You need to be making plans to leave, you really do.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post

You need to be making plans to leave, you really do.

I have left, I'm working in Berlin... it's lovely out here

Comment

Working...
                    X