• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Digital Economy Act 2010 - Petition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Digital Economy Act 2010 - Petition

More bad legislation from our government which as usual was rushed through late at night whilst no-one was looking.

The Pirate Bay - The world's most resilient bittorrent site <mod> - snipped offending site! </mod>

Whilst I do not agree with copyright infringement, disconnection without a right to appeal is an infrigement of civil liberties.

The petition which has received 35,000 signatures can be found here, but is closed until one month afer the election:
    Petition to: abolish the proposed law that will see alleged illegal filesharers disconnected from their broadband connections, without a fair trial. | Number10.gov.uk

Mod - Honestly SantaClaus, a little more care please. Not all of us use NoScript.
    Last edited by cojak; 3 May 2010, 08:52. Reason: Pulled bad url.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

It is but a symptom of the things that the UK government has been doing to wreck the UK IT industry.

You have a real vote soon, but which of the other parties will do any different?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      It is but a symptom of the things that the UK government has been doing to wreck the UK IT industry.

You have a real vote soon, but which of the other parties will do any different?
      Well, today's Sunday Times reported that the Tories will reverse 13 years of Labour legislation, but its amazing what politicians will say to get in power.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        Well, today's Sunday Times reported that the Tories will reverse 13 years of Labour legislation, but its amazing what politicians will say to get in power.
        It would take them twenty-six years to do that, and then they'd have to start again and would fsck things up just as much.

Let's face it, all politicians know how to do is try to win elections. None of them can even run a cake stall at their own fundraising events - they have to get a normal person to do it for them

Comment

More bad legislation from our government which as usual was rushed through late at night whilst no-one was looking.
          I was looking and lobbied my MP about changing the filesharing bit. It's funny how labour seem to have become friends with big business all of a sudden. Anybody would think they were about to lose their jobs!
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The Pirate Bay - The world's most resilient bittorrent site

Whilst I do not agree with copyright infringement, disconnection without a right to appeal is an infrigement of civil liberties.

The petition which has received 35,000 signatures can be found here, but is closed until one month afer the election:
            Petition to: abolish the proposed law that will see alleged illegal filesharers disconnected from their broadband connections, without a fair trial. | Number10.gov.uk

It looks like the site is infected. It downloaded a virus. I am now using my other laptop

Mod - and thanks for copying the bad URL, Paddy
            Last edited by cojak; 3 May 2010, 08:55. Reason: pulled the copied bad URL...
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Just dragging up an old thread from May 2010 with a story on BBC News yesterday:

BBC News - Government to rethink Digital Economy Act's web blocks

It looks like this Digital Economy act is floundering, which is just as well really. I think it is a tad frightening that the government is planning to block access to sites that it deems that for its own reasons we should not see.

If this act goes ahead who knows where it will end, the government could find all sorts of pretexts to block sites that it doesn´t want people to see, or its friends in business don´t want us to use.

I thought the whole idea of the internet is that it is meant to be resiliant. It was originally designed to enable continued communications even in a war zone, a nuclear war perhaps. And yet here we are finding that a single organisation, the government, is able to disable whole parts of it (the sites being blocked).

What´s gone wrong?

Is it possible to set up an internet that is truly resilient. I know that peer-to-peer file sharing enables communication without a central web server, but at the TCP/IP level we are completely dependent upon backbone networks provided by the ISP´s. And they are completely visible, accountable, and able to be nobbled by the state.

What can be done to get around this?
              ideas on a postcard please.

Kent

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                What can be done to get around this?
                ideas on a postcard please.
                My guess is not a lot. After all, the Egyptian government got the mobile networks shut down PDQ, why not t'internet too?

Comment

Is Tor a possible viable solution?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Is Tor a possible viable solution?
                    The Tor project website is blocked from work

A great start.

On a serious note, now that all uk based ISPs have a certain little(Not so little) black box supplied by GCHQ plugged into their infrastructure, what do you think?

Comment

Working...
                    X