• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the story with the BCS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the story with the BCS?

BCS to hold an EGM, EGM supporters have second thoughts

Anyone in the BCS who could give us a potted history?

Or is BCS just an examination income generator irrelevance these days and no-one really cares apart from a few ditherers?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Bcs

As a member of the BCS I have never considered it a proper professional organisation. It has no real power.
    I guess the management have spent money on the Chartered stuff and some people see it as a waste of money.

Comment

I do like this line...

"BCS, the chartered institute for IT"

God knows why anyone gives this mob money, or the PCG who are equally as crap. I mean what do you actually get from them?

Comment

i worked with a chairman of one of the BCS's and he was without doubt the most incompetent person I have ever worked with. With that in mind i'm not a member and have no intention of ever becoming one...

Comment

BCS has traditionally been the preserve of 5% "active members" i.e. academics whose institutions give them the time/money to attend/run its events while the 95% in the commercial sector are too busy working. Hence commercial sector has traditionally seen BCS as irrelevant. BCS now has new CEO who wants to make BCS more commercially oriented. The academics don't like that.

At least that's one way of looking at it.

Comment

I found the BCS locked in an elitist time warp - the only serious computers were mainframes, "computer programmers" were graduates and held in greater esteem than rocket scientists, and documentation was only needed by idiots.

If they are still like that, they are coming to their natural conclusion. Sod them.

Comment

If you are going to have an institute it should be like the IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers in the US), in this institute anyone can be a member so no chartered garbage, and it focuses purely on being a "learned" forum, providing useful resources for members and organising "recognised" international conferences, as well as being instrumental in setting standards. Unfortunately the BCS has lost it's way it doesn't have any role either in organising (meaningful) conferences or setting standards.

The chartered status only has meaning in the construction industry, or Electricity generation, it doesn't really work in computing. Though in most countries the only thing that counts is your degree. Only the UK has this "chartered" thing, probably completely out of date, as the only criteria other than your degree is an interview just to prove you have two years responsible work experience, what a waste of time and effort filling out the bl**dy forms, and taking a day off work.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 May 2010, 13:48.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

IEEE sets well known standards.

Comment

They were keen on outsourcing, so they reap what they sow, and should rename themselves the ICS. They were also in league with New Labour, with honours awarded to the top people.

They're a big rip-off IMO, existing to extract money from members.

Comment

How about the IET (formally the IEE and the IIE) in the UK?

I thought they were the UK's electrical engineering body?
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X